Thursday, April 27, 2017

CD Odyssey Disc 998: Soundtrack

With the Boston Bruins out of the playoffs, this is a good time to note that there is still exciting sports news - it is NFL draft weekend! My beloved Miami Dolphins picked 22nd overall tonight and took an edge rushing defensive end named Charles Harris. I kind of wanted a linebacker or a guard, but apparently Harris is the real deal and will help the team. Hope springs eternal…

Disc 998 is…Searching for Sugarman
Artist: Rodriguez

Year of Release: 2012 but featuring music primarily from 1970-71

What’s up with the Cover? A man (musician Sixto Rodriguez) strides purposefully into frame. Behind him a giant guitar stretches into the distance. How will Sixto play such a massive guitar? What if he trips over that high E string and falls on his face?

Fear not my friend – it’s just a photo.

How I Came To Know It: I had heard of the movie for this soundtrack from a few people but hadn’t been sufficiently interested to check it out. Eventually it was Sheila who bought me the album for Christmas after hearing good things herself.

How It Stacks Up:  I only have this one Rodriguez album and as it is a compilation from a couple of his studio albums, it can’t really stack up. As a soundtrack I guess it can stack up though, and out of my (now) 32 soundtracks, I put “Searching for Sugarman” in at #10 but I’m not relisting the other 31. If you want to see that, go here.

Ratings: As a compilation of Sixto Rodriguez songs, I can’t rank this album, but as a soundtrack I’m going to do so anyway. I’ll give it 3 stars, bordering on 4.

I don’t know much about the documentary that inspired this compilation, other than it is about an obscure seventies singer-songwriter. Knowing so little I came just for the music, which didn’t disappoint.

Sixto Rodriguez goes simply by “Rodriguez” which is something I don’t understand. If I had a name as cool as “Sixto” I would use it as much as I could. It sounds like the name of some legendary bandit crossed with some Beatnik poet.

The real Rodriguez is more the latter than the former, singing thoughtful songs about society and how we relate to it. He reminded me of a mix of Bob Dylan and Townes Van Zandt, which is high praise. Like both of them, he’s not the most gifted vocalist, but he writes songs that perfectly match his lyrical and slightly ragged vocals. When he sings there is an edge of hurt that adds gravitas.

On “Cause” he captures a down-and-out vibe that is heartbreaking, the more so because the lyrics demonstrate clear that he sees right through the core of his own condition with a clarity that makes it all the more painful. With lines like “Cause my heart’s become a crooked hotel full of rumours” capture the personal sadness, and he follows up with a more generic indictment of society generally with:

“Cause I see my people trying to drown the sun
In weekends of whiskey sours
Cause how many times can you wake up in
This comic book and plant flowers?”

The album benefits from good arrangements as well, with a nice mix of acoustic guitar, bass riffs and flourishes of a horn section and violin. The violin on “Cause” is a mix of triumph, regret and acceptance that perfectly matches the lyrics. Rodriguez makes it clear that while he is testifying, but that we shouldn’t expect him to provide answers.

The album is mostly from two records recorded in 1970 and 1971 respectively, and at times they sound very much of their time. The jazz flute in “Can’t Get Away” and bongo drums in “Street Boy” made me feel like I was hearing the soundtrack to some early seventies cop show, but I kind of liked it.

I liked the production less, that is a bit tinny in places, and also has some challenges with volume consistency - likely the result of the original master tapes, but it was noticeable, particularly when I was listening in quieter environments. Fortunately, it is minor and doesn't wreck the experience.

Rodriguez has a natural talent for phrasing, which helps give the songs their groove. He just feels cool. On “A Most Disgusting Song” he delivers what feels like very early rap, as he describes a club full of degenerates and lovelorn losers, all the while reminding us that any of us could find ourselves there on a given night. After hearing about “Jimmy ‘Bad Luck’ Butts,” “Playboy Ralph” and “the local diddy bop pimp” make their way through the smoky bar I felt like I had visited the place, only I didn’t have to have my blazer dry-cleaned afterward. I also had visions of turning the whole thing into a rap song – it wouldn’t be hard.

Rodriguez is clearly a cool dude, and there are places where he is almost too cool, sounding a bit too self-aware of just how chill he is. It is a minor quibble though, on a record that muses about individual failings and existential angst with equal thoughtfulness.


Best tracks: Crucify Your Mind, Cause, Like Janis, A Most Disgusting Song, Jane S. Piddy

No comments: