Monday, February 20, 2017

CD Odyssey Disc 972: Pearl Jam

After thinking this season’s round of the plague missed me, last night I came down with something hard. It ain’t good, so let’s get this review out of my system while I can still (sort of) function.

For the second straight review, the Odyssey has landed on an album from 2013. For those who like statistics, this is my fourteenth review of an album released in 2013. So far they have averaged 3.3 stars.

Apologies – I’ve been working with numbers a lot at work lately.

Disc 972 is…Lightning Bolt
Artist: Pearl Jam

Year of Release: 2013

What’s up with the Cover? Some sort of infographic? Maybe a riddle embedded in pictograms? I’m going to interpret this one as “Playing music at night is like a lightning bolt to the eye!” I love music at night, but I don’t think I would enjoy a lightning bolt to the eye. This leaves me in quite a quandary.

How I Came To Know It: I have been a Pearl Jam fan for a long time, and this was just me buying their latest album when it came out.

How It Stacks Up:  I have 11 Pearl Jam albums. “Lightning Bolt” is pretty solid, but I like those other records a lot as well. I’ll put it 7th, displacing their 2006 self-titled album from that spot in the process. Still bottom half, but respectable. In many ways it is consistently better than “Vitalogy” but because that album has a few absolute classics, I’m going to give it the slight edge for 6th.

Ratings: 3 stars but almost 4

After 2009’s “Back Spacer” (reviewed back at Disc 45) was such a big disappointment, I was pretty nervous about buying their next release. I’d only heard two singles off of it, and only liked one of them. Still, Pearl Jam had given me so much happiness over the years that I decided to give them a chance. They did not disappoint.

“Lightning Bolt” is a return to form in a big way and a reminder on why Pearl Jam is one of rock and roll’s great enduring bands.

The production is layered, but never interferes with the song nor sounds busy. Both McCready and Gossard sound powerful and rejuvenated on guitar and if Eddie Vedder’s signature voice has lost anything over the years, it hasn’t been much. The album consistently rocks out and has an energy that is – dare I say it? – electric.

The record opens guns-blazing, with “Getaway” a song that feels like a throwback to nineties Pearl Jam: full of restless energy, soaring melodies and more than a little groove around the edges. This should have been the single for the album but band went with “Mind Your Manners” instead, maybe because it is a bit more punk?

My Father’s Son” is a song about blaming your less-than-ideal father whenever you screw up. The song walks the fine line of recognizing you gotta own your decisions in this world, and claim your own shadow even as you try to step out of someone else's. The frustration and self-loathing of the song is real and powerful, and while daddy issues have been so done, Vedder manages to add a fine entry to the canon.

Sirens” is a slow love song with an ambient energy that slowly builds as it progresses. The song is half apology and half plea to stick with it one more time and work to make it better. Vedder’s vocal here is the rock equivalent of soulful crooner, and his deep sense of romanticism shines through even in a song where he is essentially admitting to being an over-analyzing jerk.

The record ends with “Future Days,” another love song, this one the perfect book end to the unsteady ground of “Sirens.” If “Sirens” is power and majesty wrapped around frailty, then “Future Days” is stark production wrapped around strength and certainty. First piano, then guitar take their turn playing solemnly under Vedder’s trademark croon. Listening to Vedder sing:

“I believe
And I believe ‘cause I can see
Our future days
Days of you and me.”

You will be convinced there is no hurricane, cyclone or demon - and the song references all three - that is powerful enough to cleave a man from the girl he’s meant to be with. The sirens can’t call you to the rocks if you hold each other back.

Listening to this song I found myself thinking fondly of all those lovers out there for whom this is “their’ song. It won’t be many people – that kind of romantic song commitment made when you're young, and “Lightning Bolt” is an album that is likely getting listened to by a lot of folks who selected “their” song long ago. It’s a nice thought though, and as romantic a song as you’ll hear, young or old.

Back at Disc 651 I marveled that Soundgarden was able to come back so strong so late in their career with the amazing “King Animal.” To see grunge’s other surviving elder statesman match that effort with “Lightning Bolt” is a reminder of just how lucky we’ve been to have these bands in our lives for the past quarter century.


Best tracks: Getaway, My Father’s Son, Sirens, Swallowed Whole Future Days

No comments: