Wednesday, December 21, 2016

CD Odyssey Disc 950: Alice Cooper

Another late night, but the Odyssey rolls on, with a return to an oft-visited favourite.

Disc 950 is….Dragontown
Artist: Alice Cooper

Year of Release: 2001

What’s up with the Cover? Alice looks tense, like he’s about to…sai. Get it? Get it?

Man I crack myself up.

How I Came To Know It: I stopped buying Alice Cooper albums for a few years and it took me a while before I got into his later catalogue. I believe someone bought me this album as a gift, but I’m embarrassed to say I can’t remember who. Whoever it was it helped kick start my interest in his more recent catalogue, so thank you!

How It Stacks Up:  I have 26 Alice Cooper albums. “Dragontown” isn’t top tier, but it holds its own. I’ll rank it 12th.

Ratings: 3 stars but almost 4

“Dragontown” is the final entry in Alice Cooper’s terrifying vision of the future, with the titular location a town on a brutal planet of sin and terror.

The album is Alice at his heaviest phase, embracing the loudness of the early oughts, sometimes to good effect, and sometimes overdoing it a bit (as a lot of metal artists did at the same time). The songs crunch along and tend toward aggressive guitar riffs and rough subjects. Cooper’s voice has even more snarl to it than usual, and sometimes suffers from being given too many treatments in production. He doesn’t need these, as he can still belt out a tune, but on “Dragontown” he is more interested in his trademark rasp than showing off his vocal range.

The title track and “I Just Wanna Be God” are particularly heavy and delivered with both majesty and crunch in equal measure. These are songs about the power brokers of Alice Cooper’s new world order, each of them doomed but unrepentant.

The album is an exploration of bad people and the evil places they congregate (Dragontown being the most obvious). Alice flows freely from the excesses of the present into the decay of a near-future dystopia drawing connections on how we get there.

The record doesn’t just talk about those in charge of the world’s collapse, but also those who empower them. The best of these is “Sex, Death and Money” which despite straying dangerously close to Nu-Metal shows Cooper’s talent for showing hypocrisy even as he plays the villain for our general amusement. Cooper’s character feigns disgusted as he sings:

“When I go to the show
All I see on the screen
Is a stream of pure vulgarity
I wrote down a note
Complained for a day
To the House of Representatives”

And proves his outrage later with:

“I was so offended
As I sat for three hours
It was mental cruelty
I was so shocked”

So terrible, but it took three hours just to be sure. We get the entertainment we secretly desire, and Cooper is happy to be the deranged cheerleader pointing it out. He’s been making songs like this for years, and it continues to amaze me that people are outraged by him, even as they prove his point.

Fantasy Man” explores the same character from the other side; someone who is perfectly comfortable acknowledging their lack of standards and morals. Both songs are fun and walk a fine line between anthem and hard rock protest. In Cooper’s world, they are fundamentally the same thing.

On “Disgraceland” Cooper even takes a shot at the King, summing up Elvis’ last moments as:

“He ate his weight in country ham,
Killed on pills and woke in disgraceland”

Half the song is sung in a hilarious Elvis impersonator voice, presumably because just singing it straight wouldn’t offend enough people.

The songs don’t show a lot of range in terms of their structure, but they are played with energy and power and there aren’t any true stinkers. “Every Woman Has a Name” comes closest, being a pale imitation of “Only Women Bleed.” Think what you will of “Only Women Bleed” it is a rock classic. Even though “Every Woman Has a Name” is an alright tune, it feels unnecessary and derivative.

While the album is mostly metal in flavour, there are some pure rock crooners as well, and one of my favourite tracks, “It’s Much Too Late” is one of these. Telling the story of the same type of character we meet earlier on “Sex, Death and Money” we hear him now surprised to find himself in hell, still unclear what he’s done wrong. The song has an effortless and memorable melody and could be a pop ballad with a different treatment. The chorus is so infectious I found myself singing along like an idiot on my walk home. Thankfully it was nice and dark, and traffic was light.

My version of “Dragontown” is the “bonus CD” version which contains an extra song (the remarkably good “Clowns Will Eat Me” and live versions and remixes of earlier Cooper tracks “Go To Hell”, “Ballad of Dwight Fry” and “Brutal Planet” all of which are OK, but none of which are indispensable.

“Dragontown” beats you over the head a bit with its message, but the music is solid and it’s funny and troubling in the right proportions. It could use a bit of restraint in the production room, but it’s a good record from rock’s greatest jester; scolding us and thrilling us in equal measure.


Best tracks: Dragontown, Sex Death and Money, Fantasy Man, Disgraceland, I Just Wanna Be God, Much Too Late

No comments: