Friday, July 8, 2016

CD Odyssey Disc 886: The Smalls

Happy Friday! I’ve had a day full of chores, and I’m feeling a bit knackered. I also had some fun though, buying some new music for my collection (and eventual review), watching some Wimbledon and eating lunch at my favourite taco joint. Life is good.

Disc 886 is….My Dear Little Angle
Artist: The Smalls

Year of Release: 1999

What’s up with the Cover? A drawing of what I assume are cultists heralding the rise of Rlyeh. Or just a bunch of people in robes. The art is by someone named Ursus from Vancouver and the CD booklet is full of more of his art, all of which I really like. Most of the other paintings are of people in elegant clothing sitting or standing near chairs. It’s better than it sounds.

The cover also features the Smalls’ logo, which is one of the worst band logos ever, and a big reason why I own this album. Speaking of which…

How I Came To Know It: A couple years ago I went to a Smalls reunion concert (I think my friend Cat put me on to them – hearing Corb Lund was their bassist made it easier). I was chilling at the merch table and didn’t like any of the t-shirts (they all had the aforementioned logo) so on the advice of some drunken fans I bought not one, but all four Smalls albums. Speaking of which…

How It Stacks Up:  I have four Smalls albums, which is all of them. Of the four, “My Dear Little Angle” is tied for second with their self-titled album.

Ratings: 3 stars but almost 4

The Smalls is one of those bands with a small but dedicated following, even years after they disbanded. “My Dear Little Angle” is the last record they would make, and it is a strong exit.

The Smalls are a hard rockin’ band characterized by driving guitar riffs and the haunting and tortured vocals of Mike Caldwell. All their albums have a Seattle grunge feel to them, but with a much more stripped down punk edge.

While possessing all these qualities, “My Dear Little Angle” also has the most range of any Smalls album, and even has a few country touches around the edges. This isn’t surprising since by 1999 bassist Corb Lund already had one foot firmly in that world, and was fixing to complete the transition (country artists “fix” to do things). In fact, one of the tracks on the album is “My Saddle Horse Has Died” which Lund would go on to countrify for his 2007 album “Horse Soldier! Horse Soldier!”

The album starts off with furious power with the title track, a swampy song that chugs along with a brooding intensity that is hard to resist. I didn’t bother, and when it came on I found my head bobbing uncontrollably, regardless of how many people were watching. This is music that comes from the balls, and also grabs you by them.

The power keeps coming with “Murdering Me” which is more Seattle grunge sound, a little more slightly than the title track, but still tracking muddy boot prints across the inside of your skull. Caldwell’s accusatory vocals as he demands to know “why are you murdering me?” feels threatening and pleading in equal measure.

For the most part all the songs on the record are mood pieces, designed to get into your spine and make you thrash about, with lyrics that are secondary to the tone the music sets in your heart. Is it all a bit oppressive? Yes, delightfully so.

There are other influences on the album as well. “VCR” is a bluesy number that was reminiscent of the Tragically Hip and the band even does a cover of Aretha Franklin’s “Natural Woman” without a hint of irony or humour. A lot of earlier Smalls albums are pure rock experiences, and I enjoyed how “My Dear Little Angle” branched out, and yet never felt disjointed.

The album has two strong tracks near the end, with the angry and self-destructive “Tell Us About It” and a weird sixties guitar track crossed with a country song on “What I Need.” Both tracks are innovative and fun to listen to, and would have been a fine end to the record.

In fact, given all these good tracks, stylistic range and the superior production, this record should have put it solidly as the band’s second best album if it weren’t for one cardinal sin; the dead air track.

The final track on the album is “Ride On Through,” a meandering jazz track that fades out after three minutes, then has 18 minutes of dead air, followed by a stoner version of “My Saddle Horse Has Died” and then a sped up version of the title track that sounds like a 33 album played on 45. That kind of shit is fun to do at home when you’re 8 years old, but it doesn’t belong on a record.

I listened to all 18 minutes just so I could get good and angry, and boy did I get angry. Enough to knock this otherwise excellent record down to three stars. It is still worth owning, but if you haven’t made some weird promise on a blog to give it a full listen, do yourself a favour and turn it off after track 13.

Best tracks:  My Dear Little Angle, Murdering Me, PIN, Tell Us About It, What I Need To Carry On

No comments: