Tuesday, January 19, 2016

CD Odyssey Disc 821: Pantera

My day started off inauspiciously. I forgot to make my breakfast and then burned my tongue trying to drink my coffee too fast. Things improved from there though, and I’m home again and writing.

I am trying to set more time aside to write in 2016 and so far it is working out well. The extra hour a night energizes me and the result is that I’m able to stay up later, so I don’t lose any more time behind the wall of sleep than is necessary.

Why yes, careful reader, that was an allusion to a Black Sabbath song. In honour of those fathers of metal, let’s review my next album, which is by one of their unruly children.

Disc 821 is….Cowboys From Hell
Artist: Pantera

Year of Release: 1990

What’s up with the Cover? Thanks to the miracle of photoshopping, we get to enjoy the Pantera boys tearin’ it up in a turn of the century public house. It is scenes like this that inspired prohibition.

How I Came To Know It: Back in April I reviewed my other Pantera album (1992’s “Vulgar Display of Power”). I liked it so much I did a little Youtube diving of Pantera’s other albums. “Cowboys From Hell” emerged the clear winner, so I purchased it.

How It Stacks Up:  I only have two Pantera albums, and if you’ve been reading carefully you already know which two. Of those, I’ll put “Cowboys From Hell” in at number one.

Ratings: 4 stars

Ten minutes into my walk home today I was thinking, “man, these Pantera guys are heavy as hell!” and then I realized I hadn’t even turned on the booster amp in my headphones. Once I did it was even better.

Pantera are tight as hell and every song is a clinic in how to shred hard and heavy. When this album came out I had temporarily left metal behind for folk music. “Cowboys From Hell” is a nice reminder that metal hadn’t stopped growing just because I had temporarily stopped listening. I’m glad to be making up for lost time now.

As I mentioned on my previous Pantera review, these guys are the perfect blend of speed metal and chunky riffs. Dimebag Darrell’s guitar riffs may seem simple, but they have a power and energy that gets your head moving nonetheless. The melody always seems to be diving deeper down in search of something thicker to wallow in. Usually it finds it.

The songs will sometimes start with 45 seconds or so of slower intro, or there might be a bar or two of guitar solo once they’re going, but for the most part this is music that thumps you in your lower spine. Singer Philip Anselmo’s savage and grating rock voice is the perfect match for Dimebag’s power groove.

While this album is heavy, it manages it in a way that doesn’t sacrifice melodic quality, and for this reason I liked it slightly better than “Vulgar Display of Power.” “Cemetery Gates” is a good example, alternating between a slower tempo and a metal groove. It also shows that Anselmo doesn’t just yell – the man can sing as well.

That said, this is not an album about lyrics, at least not for me. I often had a hard time hearing the words, and when I could it was pretty simple metal fare. On “Message In Blood” I was confused by the chorus, which goes:

“It’s a message in blood
It’s your cryptic warning.”

Leaving a message in blood seems like a pretty powerful statement, and it’s likely an awful lot of work as well. Given that, the narrator might have thought about making sure that message wasn’t so cryptic. Later he expresses his isolation with:

“No one cares to understand my
Demented means.”

Just a thought, but if you wanted to be understood then don’t make your message so cryptic! But I digress…

The songs on “Cowboys From Hell” are relatively long, with over half of them over five minutes, but they rarely feel it. This is music that moves along at a good clip, and never gives you time to get bored. Unlike a lot of lesser heavy music, the tracks are so appealing it never feels like your ears are under siege. Instead, it is like a lush garden of sound.

That said, the twelve tracks total over 57 minutes, and while I couldn’t say for sure what I’d cut, I think I’d prefer a 10 track, 48 minute album. It is made harder by the fact that while relatively few tracks stood out, the record as a whole has a nice cohesive feel.

I’ve only had this album for a relatively short time, and listening to it again for this review I was left with the distinct impression that the more time I gave it, the more I would like it. This is the principle calling card of a strong record.


Best tracks:  Cowboys From Hell, Heresy, Clash With Reality, Cemetery Gates

No comments: