Thursday, November 12, 2015

CD Odyssey Disc 799: System of a Down

I just walked home in a driving rain storm. Now that I’ve changed out of a sodden suit and tie and into dry jeans and a T-shirt I feel like myself again…in multiple ways.

Disc 799 is….Toxicity
Artist: System of a Down

Year of Release: 1990

What’s up with the Cover? Against all odds System of a Down was able to reorder the letter in the Hollywood Hills to spell the band’s name. Take that, Sunday Scramble!

How I Came To Know It: As I noted when I reviewed “Steal this Album” back at Disc 774, my friend Spence bought me this album. Spence is one of my ‘go to’ sources for new music and shall remain so despite this less than ringing endorsement of “Toxicity.”

How It Stacks Up:  After giving away “Steal This Album” I only have this one System of Down album so there isn’t really anything left to stack up against.

Ratings: 2 stars

As badly as I wanted “Toxicity” to redeem System of a Down after my experience with “Steal This Album” it was not to be. These guys just don’t inspire me to keep listening to them.

First the good stuff. The band is really tight. They hit hard and clean in and out of the musical breaks, which come at a furious pace. On a technical basis, I admire their skill. I also admire that they are trying to do something different and innovative with the metal/hard rock genre. Generally they don’t sound like anyone else, and that’s not easy.

The music is heavy and pounding, frantic and full of energy and it has a great crisp production courtesy of Rick Rubin, who really gets sound separation.

Unfortunately despite all the energy the only emotion I felt coming through was frustration. I grew up with heavy metal and while it expresses its fair share of frustration it should have more range than that. Metal is music can make you feel angry or sad, or triumphant and a whole host of other things as well, but mostly it is for kids who dream.

Unfortunately, the frustration I felt about the record wasn’t that of dreams deferred – that would have been OK. It was frustration with the music itself, which had either no melody or a threadbare one at best. It thumps away but never quite develops into anything and the songs tend to end abruptly leaving me to wonder what the point was.

Maybe that is the point, but as I said earlier I was weaned on metal that inspired you. “Toxicity” feels like music for people who just like to complain full time.

The song's complaint could be about war, or prisons, or drug laws or the environment – usually it feels like some kind of amalgamation of all of those – but as I noted on my review for “Steal This Album” the words are random slogans rather than clever lyrics. I felt like I was at a rally with a really bad speaker.

Near the end of the record, System of a Down finally drew me in with a couple of cool tracks. “Psycho” is about a “psycho groupie cocaine crazy” who makes a lot of unhealthy choices as she tries to both see the band, and be seen by them. It is a good song with a nice balance between a slow, grunge-ballad style, and the furious rhythmic thrum that is System of a Down’s trademark. It even works in a traditional metal guitar riff that I think is the band imaging the experience of the groupie at the show in her better moments.

I also like that this song shows that System of a Down clearly wants fans to be more than mindless followers. I only wish their other songs gave those fans more to chew on.

The last track “Aerials” is a very cool track, which is another post-grunge sounding song that has elements of Queensryche in it. When System of a Down gets their prog on they definitely channel some Queensryche and I wish they’d do that more often.

Aerials” has a hidden track tagged onto the end of it which features some kind of Pan flute, tribal chants and jungle sounds. I liked this little tonic of something different at the end of the album and it left me feeling more positive about the record overall. Not enough to keep it in my collection mind you, but more positive nonetheless.


Best tracks: Psycho, Aerials

No comments: