Tuesday, October 27, 2015

CD Odyssey Disc 793: Bob Dylan

My new job is a much longer walk than my old one. It is a good job, but it isn’t as nice a walk, going through an industrial rundown part of town rather than pleasant residential side streets. It does have a couple advantages though; first it is more exercise for me, and second I get a lot more music listening time in.

Disc 793 is….Tempest
Artist: Bob Dylan

Year of Release: 2012

What’s up with the Cover? Some kind of a red filtered photo of some statue of a lady. It looks like it was done on Bob’s home computer by Bob himself. Lo and behold, when I checked the photo credits I found the picture of statue lady was taken from Shutterstock. Way to mail it in, Bob.

How I Came To Know It: This was just me buying Bob’s latest album on faith. Consider that faith shattered and no, I did not buy his 2015 release “Shadows in the Night.”

How It Stacks Up: I have 19 Bob Dylan albums. I put “Tempest” at the bottom of the pile at #19.

Ratings: 2 stars

I avoid Bob Dylan concerts because I know he just does whatever the hell he wants and audience enjoyment is secondary. I don’t begrudge him that, I just don’t seek it out. After the lukewarm “Together Through Life” (reviewed back at Disc 404) I should’ve heeded the same warning with album purchases as well.

“Together Through Life” was a bluesy record, and on “Tempest” Bob returns to folk storytelling with a bit of Americana swing in there for good measure. As a lover of these styles this should have been a home run for me, but this album feel flat.

There are some good things for sure. “Duquesne Whistle” has a timeless quality that sounds like it has been played by hobos riding the rails since the thirties. “Roll on John” has a rolling structure that feels like you’re falling asleep in a hammock while the ship takes you slowly to Tahiti. The song’s feel is cleverly at odds with the rough and ready life of the mariner it is about. “Pay in Blood” has a strong melody, even if it is Bob doing a pale imitation of the rants of his youth.

Unfortunately, that is three songs out of ten, and the rest range from forgettable to annoying. The album is 70 minutes long, meaning these ten songs average seven minutes to make their point, which for most of them is just too damn long.

Worst of all these songs are often Bob trying to be a rambling storyteller. This has always been one of his strengths, and so it is really noticeable when he only manages average to boring. Mostly I noted that the songs just wouldn’t resolve themselves quickly enough and had a lot of writing you would expect from a novice songwriter, not one of the all-time greatest.

The worst example is the title track, which is a 14 minute abomination that tells the tale of the Titanic sinking. I am just not interested in the sinking of the Titanic – I’d rather hear the tragic tale of iron ore shippers on the Edmund Fitzgerald any day. These chestnuts from “Tempest” did not change my mind:

“The host was pouring brandy/He was going down slow
He stayed right to the end/He was the last to go

“There were many, many others/Nameless here forever more
They never sailed the ocean/Or left their homes before”

There were many, many others” feels about as lazy a phrase as is humanly possible, but then I remembered this was from the 10 minute mark of a 14 minute song and Bob was probably flagging a bit.

The whole song feels like a loose connection of rhymes strung together by a kid doing a history project for his social studies 9 class or maybe one of those old codgers that show up at open mic night to share their love of history through their self-published poetry.

On top of this, the song has little going on musically. It isn’t long before you’ve heard the same A and B sections in the same order so many tiresome times that if you were on the Titanic and it was the song the band was playing as it sank you’d jump over the rail so the sea could claim you before the musicians bored you to death.

There are flashes of brilliance on this album, and the production is very good. It is too bad it is all mired amid a lot of forgettable stuff. I will keep the record for the three strong tracks on it, but I won’t be playing the whole thing again for a long time and when I do I’ll be skipping the title track just for the sake of my own sanity.


Best tracks:  Duquesne Whistle, Pay in Blood, Roll on John

No comments: