Sunday, August 23, 2015

CD Odyssey Disc 774: System of a Down

It has been a lovely weekend of hanging out at home. I’m a very social person but everyone needs a little down time. Sheila and I chilled out, played board games, and on Saturday went for brunch and a wee stroll around downtown. Today I’ve put on my ugliest clothes and in so doing laid down a firm position that I plan to lounge around the house all day.

I’m starting the day’s lounge with a music review but if you’re reading along, I guess you were expecting that.

Disc 774 is….Steal this Album!
Artist: System of a Down

Year of Release: 2002

What’s up with the Cover? This album has no cover – instead the packaging is designed to look like a bootlegged CD. That’s so clever, System of a Down! You’re really sticking it to those Soulless Record Execs encouraging people to steal the album. You’re also sticking it to musicians, by the way, who get screwed out of revenue every time someone steals an album. But you sure showed the system, didn’t you?

It is worth noting that this album is not bootlegged, but put out by massive recording company Columbia Records, a division of Sony music. This makes the record title not a protest, nor a clever joke, but just a boat-load of hypocrisy.

How I Came To Know It: My buddy Spence bought me this album as well as “Toxicity” for my birthday one year. Spence has amazing taste in music and I get a lot of good ideas from him on what to check out next. The bad things I’m going to say about this album do not reflect what I think of his musical tastes as a whole.  

How It Stacks Up: I have two System of a Down albums, this one and “Toxicity.” Of the two, I’m going to take a leap of faith and say that “Toxicity” is better.

Ratings: 2 stars

“Steal This Album” is an innovative and hard-driving metal album that desperately needs some creative direction, starting with a new lyricist. Sadly, Neil Peart is otherwise committed.

I have a bit of a reputation among my fellow music enthusiasts for being overly focused on the lyrics. I don’t think that’s entirely fair, but I definitely focus on lyrics more than most people. I’d blame it on the degree in English Literature but I’ve been like this since I was a kid – it is one of the things that drew me to metal music in the first place.

And for this reason, “Steal this Album!” really annoyed me with song after song crammed full of truly horrendous lyrics. They are worse than the ‘yeehaw!’ crapitude of Nashville pop country songs about drinking beer. At least that music doesn’t think it is going to change the world.

And it isn’t the subjects ‘discussed’ on “Steal This Album!” either. The record attacks rampant consumerism and war, which are two perfectly legitimate things to be unhappy about. Other artists just do this so much better.

When Bruce Springsteen or Steve Earle write a protest song, they infuse it with specific stories or viewpoints. This provides an emotional centre that helps you relate. When Iron Maiden does it, they draw in historical or literary elements that provide context to what they are singing about. Tool’s lyrics are dark but they also thoughtfully expose disturbing aspects of the human condition.

“Steal This Album!” dismisses subtlety, history and connectivity in equal measure. Listening to it makes me feel like I’m at a poorly-organized political protest and someone is yelling slogans at me through a megaphone. “Boom!” is a particularly bad track for this, with vocalist Serj Tankian spewing buzz words and jargon with a rapid-fire delivery.

A lot of artists don’t have much to say lyrically. Kyuss comes to mind as a very cool metal band where it is more about the groove than the words. That said, Kyuss wisely sets the vocals back in the mix and makes them part of the musical arrangement, rather than a narrative you need anything you need to follow along.

Not System of a Down. They put the lyrics nice and high in the mix and sing them with maximum clarity. It’s like they think telling us all to watch less television and stop killing each other are original thoughts. Stop shouting and tell it with a story, Serj.

By contrast, this album has a lot going for it musically. The grooves have a powerful energy crackling around them and System of a Down have a good understanding of the role of syncopation in making interesting music. They know how to combine a series of seemingly unrelated beats and guitar riffs and then playing them back and forth against one another to create something new. I enjoyed the innovation that went into some of these compositions. They are a slightly less complicated Tool in their construction, and even being mentioned in the same sentence as Tool is high praise.

Mr. Jack” is a kick-ass song with a powerful groove and the lyrics aren’t too bad either, which is a nice change. “Roulette” is a stripped down ballad where the band shows some real heartache and worth a listen as well.

The records has 16 tracks, which is two too many, but at least they are all short and the album comes in at a tasteful 41 minutes long.

Much as I like aspects of this album I can’t get past its faults, so I’m going to find someone who will enjoy it more fully than I can.

Best tracks: A.D.D., Mr. Jack, Roulette

No comments: