Thursday, March 5, 2015

CD Odyssey Disc 713: Dean Martin

I’ve had a couple of long work days with not a lot of leisure or sleep time in either of them, but I just rose from a two hour nap. I’m groggy, but I’m ready to face the evening with a fresh outlook…as soon as the cobwebs clear away.

Disc 713 is…. That’s Amore: the Very Best of Dean Martin
Artist: Dean Martin

Year of Release: 1996 but with music from 1953 to 1961

What’s up with the Cover? I don’t like this cover. It just isn’t how I remember Dean Martin. This picture looks like a goofy Tony Bennett. Dean Martin is just always cooler than this. Like this picture from inside the jacket sleeve:
Now that’s Dean Martin. Cool as a cucumber with a smoke idling in his off hand, ready to down a whisky and slay the ladies with his smooth moves and golden voice.

How I Came To Know It: In the mid-nineties I was caught up in the excitement of the Swing revival. I think Sheila may have actually bought this one, but I’m glad she did.

How It Stacks Up:  This is the only Dean Martin album I have but it is a best of, so it can’t stack up.

Rating: for the second review in a row, I must remind you, gentle reader: no ratings for compilation albums. Yes, I know it is Dean Martin. There are no exceptions.

I admit I wasn’t enthused to listen to this album when I rolled it. Dean Martin always feels to me like the crappy version of Frank Sinatra. It turns out I had nothing to worry about. Tony Bennett is the crappy Frank Sinatra.Dino is his own man with his own music

I still prefer Frank overall, but Dean Martin drew me in from the very first notes of “That’s Amore” despite the song later featuring that really annoying “bells will sing/ting a-ling-a-ling” from the background singers that makes it sound like a Christmas carol.

Martin’s voice has a beautiful tone that comes out effortlessly, in a slightly breathy way that feels like he’s never short of it. His timing is perfect, whether he is working with a few backup singers or a full orchestra pumping out horn flourishes. More than anything, he always sounds like he’s having a good time and that you’re invited to the party.

Martin is a softer sell than Sinatra, and he definitely sells up the crooner persona on these tracks. These are good songs to play over dinner with a girl you want to impress but not freak out. Call it first date make-out music. You should still proceed with caution on the tracks, however. There is a touch of creepy on “Standing on the Corner” where hopeful bachelors go down to Main Street to eye up girls and ‘select’ their favourite. Worst line:

“Brother you can’t go to jail for what you’re thinkin’
Or for the rude look in your eye.
Standing on the corner watching all the girls go by.”

For the most part, though, Dean is happy to stick with innocuous love songs like “Memories Are Made of This” and “Vieni Su (Say You Love Me Too).”

On this latter note it is worth pointing out how Dean likes to work Italian into his crooning style. He was born Dino Crocetti and it is clear he is proud of his heritage. That said, he makes sure it stays decidedly white-bread, so as not to offend his fifties audience. Being of Italian heritage myself, I am glad that he doesn’t stray into the insulting stereotypes of the time (think Rosemary Clooney singing “Mambo Italiano”).

When Dino sings Italian you feel like you are walking down a street in fifties Rome. Maybe you’re not a local, but you’re enjoying the visit. He even has a song called “Arrivederci Roma” that had me fondly remembering my own recent visit to the Eternal City.

When we got this album, Sheila drew my attention to a couple of great ones I hadn’t known as a kid, notably the dance-driven foreplay that is “Sway” and the drunken revelry of “Hey Brother, Pour the Wine.” Both have since become favourites for me. Best line from the latter:

“She introduced me to another
No my friends, he’s not her brother.
I will miss the way she walks.
Hey brother, pour the wine!”

Dino never misses a chance to watch a girl walk, even when she’s walking away.

My only quibble with the collection is that it didn’t have his amazing duet performed with Ricky Nelson in “Rio Bravo,” “My Rifle, My Pony and Me”. Here it is, because it is too good not to share.

Martin died on Christmas day 1995 and this album was released the following year. No doubt it was a soulless record exec scoring some money from his catalogue, but it just feels like a labour of love to me. That’s the power of Dino, I suppose. He made everything feel light, airy and easy.


Best tracks: That’s Amore, You’re Nobody ‘Til Somebody Loves You, Sway, Hey Brother Pour the Wine, Arrivederci Roma, Canadian Sunset

No comments: