Wednesday, February 11, 2015

CD Odyssey Disc 704: Dropkick Murphys

On my last entry I bemoaned the fortunes of my beloved Boston Bruins, so it is fitting tonight that I review a band that are also huge Bruins fans.

Disc 704 is…. The Gang’s All Here
Artist: Dropkick Murphys

Year of Release: 1999

What’s up with the Cover? Grim-faced U.S. soldiers storm the beach in what is likely a scene from the Second World War. This cover is an awesome ode to the Murphys dedication to the spirit of the regular man (here, the ordinary soldier) rising above and doing his best in the face of terrible odds.

How I Came To Know It: My friend Andrew discovered these guys, and introduced me to them in 2001. I liked their “Sing Loud, Sing Loud” album from that year and so I decided to check out their earlier work. The first step backward led me to “The Gang’s All Here.”

How It Stacks Up:  I have six of the Dropkick Murphys albums eight albums. I’ll get their latest two at some point, I’m sure. Of those I have, I’ll put “The Gang’s All Here” in third place.

Rating: 4 stars

The Dropkick Murphys are the perfect blend of Celtic folk music and punk rock, and “The Gang’s All Here” is the beginning of their signature sound.

Sure their debut was two years earlier, with 1997’s “Do or Die”, but this is before the band added vocalist Al Barr. “Do or Die” is OK but it is still too rough around the edges for me. “The Gang’s All Here” is also very rough around the edges – delightfully so – but there is just the right amount of melodic Celtic elements to make everything come together.

In fact, although I stacked this album up as third best, it is really the equal of the two that followed. If anything it is more ferocious than any of the others. Then why did I put those two above it? Partly sentimental reasons, I suppose, which I’ll discuss when I roll them. Maybe I’ll change my mind by then, since it could be years away. But I digress…

Back to “The Gang’s All Year” which has the frenetic energy of a true punk record, particularly on guitar mashing tracks like “Blood and Whiskey” and “Pipebomb on Lansdowne.” The Murphys put these songs right at the front of the record, making it clear how they want to be known.

But they also want to be known for their Celtic roots, and on songs like “Boston Asphalt” and “Devil’s Brigade” they mix in a sonic wall of drum and thrash punk guitar with traditional melodies, mostly carried by the vocal gifts of Barr.

Barr is uniquely able to sound angry and musical at the same time, and had me wishing more punk bands had vocalists like him at their head. His versatility allows the Murphys to work in ballad elements, as they do on “10 Years of Service,” “Curse of a Fallen Soul,” and “Upstarts and Broken Hearts”.

It also allows them to pull off actual traditional songs. On “The Gang’s All Here” they do two: a passable version of “The Fighting 69th” and a punked out “Amazing Grace.” The latter has the best blend of rock guitar and bagpipes you’ll ever hear. The Murphys at this point don’t have a permanent pipe player (they would add one a year later) and “Amazing Grace” is a nice teaser for the fun that will come on future records.

The album exceeds the bounds of good taste with 16 tracks, but keeps everything at around 40 minutes (punk doesn’t waste time getting through a song) so on balance I’m willing to let it go.

Thematically, these songs are a strong match to the music. They are about regular working class men putting in an honest day, and speaking out loud and long against anyone they see as doing otherwise. The Murphys deliver this message without irony, subtlety or apology.

Earlier today I was describing my family history to a coworker. I noted my Dad had been a millworker, and so had my stepdad. My grandpa on one side had been a millworker and the grandpa on the other had immigrated from Italy, leaving his life behind to become…a millworker.

It isn’t a particularly glamorous pedigree, but “The Gang’s All Here” reminds me that there is more nobility in it than I tend to give it credit. That blue collar work ethic and the blunt honesty that comes with it has served me well over the years. I love that the Dropkick Murphys have so fittingly given it a voice.


Best tracks: Blood and Whiskey, 10 Years of Service, Upstarts and Broken Hearts, Devil’s Brigade, Curse of a Fallen Soul, Wheel of Misfortune, Amazing Grace

No comments: