Thursday, October 23, 2014

CD Odyssey Disc 672: The Cure

It is great to be back in the swing of things. All the music I heard in Italy was their version of ‘tourist pop.’ This was basically English and American music from the 1970s and 1980s (a lot of Queen and – oddly – ELO). It was OK, but I missed the variety of my own music collection.

Here’s the latest.

Disc 672 is…. Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me
Artist: The Cure

Year of Release: 1987

What’s up with the Cover? To paraphrase Billy Idol: lips without a face got no human grace. Lips that close up just are not sexy.

How I Came To Know It:  I think I bought this on a sale rack one day. Turns out it was the 2006 re-mastered version that was supposed to come with a second disc of bonus material. No wonder it was on the sale rack.

I’m not bothered by it though – I’m happy with just the original album anyway, and it turns out I got it at a bargain.

How It Stacks Up:  The Cure have thirteen studio albums, but we only have three of them, all later offerings. In addition to “Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me” we have 1989’s “Disintegration” and 2000’s “Bloodflowers.” I prefer both of those records to “Kiss Me.” We also have the famous compilation album “Standing on the Beach” which has music from their career from 1979 to 1986, but that doesn’t stack up.

Since this is the last review of Cure albums I own, the official recap is also called for, so here it is:

  1. Disintegration: 3 stars (reviewed at Disc 465)
  2. Bloodflowers: 3 stars (reviewed at Disc 224)
  3. Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me: 2 stars (reviewed right here)

 “Disintegration” and “Bloodflowers” are tied for first – I like them both equally, but that just makes for a bad list.

Rating:  2 stars

A single listen to “Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me” simply didn’t let me get a handle on this music, nor did it draw me in sufficiently to go through it a second time. There just wasn’t enough here to grab my interest.

This is not a bad Cure album by any stretch. It has all of the things that make their music so interesting and unique. Atmospheric organ and synth blend nicely with understated guitar riffs. The various parts come together seamlessly to create a melodic symphony of different sounds. Robert Smith’s voice is big and full of angst, perched on top of a layer-cake of sound that is perfect for anyone wanting to feel a little pale and wan.

For all that, there these just weren’t enough tracks that stood out for me. Those that did stand out tended to do so because they were a bit different, like the funk-inspired “Hot! Hot! Hot!” but even though it caught my ear, it didn’t make me want to hear it again.

The biggest challenge facing “Kiss Me” is its size. This is a double album of material; 18 songs and over 75 minutes of music. While the songs are serviceable enough, there aren’t enough high points or internal flow to sustain the momentum a record that big needs. When I did get to a song that struck my fancy it felt like I’d had to wait too long for it to happen.

On the plus side, one of those high points comes early, with “Catch,” a whimsical and self-deprecating memory of first love. The song makes me think of Sheila for a couple of reasons. Firstly, the lyrics feature a girl who ‘used to fall down a lot” and Sheila is known to take a face-plant from time to time. Secondly it is clearly about someone the singer thinks of fondly and often – just like I think about Sheila.

Other standouts include “Just Like Heaven” which has the classic Cure sound, a kind of twirling melody that makes you imagine you’re spinning around on a sunlight square on an autumn morning, scattering flocks of pigeons as you dance.

On the other end of the spectrum, “If Only Tonight We Could Sleep” is classic fodder for urban fantasy types that spend their weekends playing “Vampire: the Masquerade.”

“If only tonight we could sleep
In a bed made of flowers
If only tonight we could fall
In a deathless spell”

I’m not judging LARPers, mind you – I would totally spend an evening trying out “Vampire: the Masquerade” if I had the chance. The song is not nearly as promising, however. The first half is dominated by this goofy sitar that is trying way too hard to sound otherworldly and dissonant. Instead, it comes off like a combination of bad community theatre and that brown acid the crowd was warned about at Woodstock. Don’t settle for songs like this, Masqueraders. You deserve better.

Most songs on “Kiss Me” are fine, however, and there are a few real standouts as well – I can understand how a lot of people were really drawn to this record. For me, it needs to be cut down by at least two-thirds before it captures my attention. For those looking to get into the Cure, I would recommend going either earlier in their career, or trying the later albums I’ve previously reviewed. This middle ground stretches too far into the distance, without providing enough landmarks to mark the journey.

Best tracks:   Catch, Just Like Heaven, Like Cockatoos, The Perfect Girl,


Gratuitous Italy Pictures:
Me and my gal in the Bobboli Gardens, in Florence; she did not fall down once on our entire trip!

In the Uffizi Gallery, Florence - one of the most amazing pieces of sculpture I've ever seen.


No comments: