Sunday, September 14, 2014

CD Odyssey Disc 663: Emmylou Harris

A long and fun-filled weekend is nearing its end on a down note, with the hated Buffalo Bills beating my beloved Miami Dolphins.

I’ll try to wash the taste of that experience out of my mouth with this next review, which I delayed by a couple of days just so I could keep listening to the record.

Disc 663 is…. Quarter Moon in a Ten Cent Town
Artist: Emmylou Harris

Year of Release: 1978

What’s up with the Cover?  Instead of a quarter moon and a ten cent town we get a crescent moon and no town at all. Consider me underwhelmed, especially when a picture like this one…
…is available inside. Emmylou has the kind of unearthly beauty that takes your breath away even when hair is covering most of her face.

How I Came To Know It:  I’ve been drilling through old Emmylou Harris records for a few years now, and this is one of my more recent additions. Once I like an artist, I tend to stick with them unless they give me cause not to.

How It Stacks Up:  I have eleven Emmylou Harris albums, with specific plans to buy at least four more. “Quarter Moon in a Ten Cent Town” is one of her best. As I noted when I reviewed “Roses In the Snow” back at Disc 459, I think of her career as two parts. I’ve got six of her early albums, and another five later ones. Of the six early ones “Quarter Moon” is just ahead of “Pieces of the Sky” (reviewed at Disc 417) at number two of her early work, and third overall.

Rating: 4 stars

Cajun spice, Kentucky bluegrass and free and easy folk songs all blend beautifully together on Emmylou Harris’ “Quarter Moon in a Ten Cent Town,” her fifth studio release.

From the very first notes of “Easy From Now On” Harris’ voice had the hairs on the back of my neck rising. Every word aches its way into your heart, and while she can still belt them out today, in 1978 the purity of her tone is at the height of its power. This is a song about a spurned woman determined to turn her life around; its genius being that it isn’t going to be easy from now on, but you know Emmylou is going to get there all the same.

Two More Bottles of Wine” is a Delbert McClinton song, and a classic example of how Harris takes a song written for a man, and completely recasts it to suit a modern woman. Life is hard, with dead-end jobs and dead-beat lovers, but at the end of the day there’s always wine.

The album then takes a sad turn, with the mournful “To Daddy” a Dolly Parton song about a wife and mother who always puts her own needs second to husband and children until one day she doesn’t. I love the way this song ends on the five, leaving it feeling unresolved but also implying that wherever mommy has left for, things are going to be better when she gets there.

My Songbird” follows, a song about not letting someone go even when you know it is the right thing to do and a perfect emotional bookend after “To Daddy.”

The entire album is filled with love’s slow collapse, but Emmylou’s delivery threads a string of hope through each of them. It isn’t hope that maybe the relationship will recover, but a more subtle hope based on how these characters endure heartache, and even use it to motivate them to a better place.

By the time the fifth song comes on, I am always feeling a little maudlin and loving it. Right when you need it, Harris jumpstarts your spirits with the up-tempo Cajun classic “Leaving Louisiana in the Broad Daylight.” The easy swing of this song, the quick and clever lyrics and the delightful touches of fiddle and accordion make for magic that had me playing it two or three times in a row before moving on.

Harris doesn’t write any of these songs, which is a pity because when she does write a song it is usually a good one. Still, it is hard to argue with what she chooses to record – her ear for a good song has never failed her. Naturally her muse Rodney Crowell is front and centre, co-writing “Leaving Louisiana” as well as the similarly sassy “I Ain’t Living Long Like This.” Both songs give the record its swing as well as provide dynamics that keep the record overall from being too somber.

My copy of the album is the 2004 remaster from Rhino, and has a couple of bonus tracks: a live version of Guy Clark’s “New Cut Road” and a Cajun song called “LaCassine Special” sung in French. Both are good, but don’t add a whole lot to the record.

“Quarter Moon in a Ten Cent Town” is a classic country record that still sounds as fresh and relevant today as it did 35 years ago. The songs are a triumph of inspiration over adversity, sung by an artist who can take any style of country music and make it her own.


Best tracks: Easy From Now On, Two More Bottles of Wine, To Daddy, My Songbird, Leaving Louisiana in the Broad Daylight, One Paper Kid, Green Rolling Hills

No comments: