Saturday, August 23, 2014

CD Odyssey Disc 655: Guy Clark

This next artist has gotten a lot of attention from me recently – I’ve bought four of his studio albums and a tribute double album as well, all in the last couple of months.

Disc 655 is…. Somedays the Song Writes You
Artist: Guy Clark

Year of Release: 2009

What’s up with the Cover? Guy Clark himself, looking like your favourite uncle over for a visit, and packing his guitar. I don’t have an uncle that plays the guitar, but if I did I’d want him to be Guy Clark. 

How I Came To Know It:  I’d had some bad experiences with Guy Clark, but also some great ones. Recently I found his excellent homepage where he streams every one of his records. This let me go through all of his studio albums one after another. Of the fifteen or so albums, I really liked six of them – and so I bought the four I was missing.

While Sheila originally liked Guy Clark, being inundated with this much at once was a bit much for her, and she’s a bit off him. Not me though – I’m enjoying soaking up all the new Guy Clark in my collection. “Somedays the Song Writes You” is one of those.

How It Stacks Up:  I have six Guy Clark albums, as well as a concert album he did with Townes Van Zandt and Steve Earle, and a tribute album of other artists doing his songs.

It is hard to stack them up, since I bought four of them all at once just a couple months ago, and I have yet to grok them in their fullness. I gave all six studio albums a quick listen again as part of determining where they stand up. “Somedays the Song…” came came out 5th. I like it, but it isn’t as good as four others.

Rating:  3 stars

Guy Clark songs tend to be about two things. They are either character studies or they’re about some object of some kind. “Somedays the Song Writes You” is a relatively recent album for him, but it follows this same approach, mostly to good effect.

“Stuff” songs on the record are about guitars, whiskey, which I guess you’d expect music to be about, but also coats. The songs are best when the stuff connects to a character, like “Hemingway’s Whiskey” which is less about Ernest Hemingway than it is about tapping into the writer’s isolation and strength. The song does a good job of bringing both out.

Likewise “The Coat” isn’t really about a coat, it’s about getting so mad that you leave a fight and forget to take your coat with you:

“There’s nothing left to take back
There’s nothing to regret
The sooner I get movin’ the sooner I get wet
There’s nothin’ left unsaid nothing left undone
If I hadn’t left my coat I’d be already gone.”

The absence of the coat highlights the narrator’s equivocation. When the song ends on a hopeful note with “think I’ll go back and get my coat” leaving you to wonder if maybe the relationship can be salvaged after all.

On “The Guitar” we’re treated to a ghostly story about a pawn shop guitar that seems to be mystically connected to the customer trying it out. Part metaphor about the calling to be a musician, and part Twilight Zone episode, the song also highlights some very pretty playing from Clark and collaborator and co-writer, Verlon Thompson.

On the character front, my favourite song on the album is “Eamon,” the story of an old salt that has been working on the water since he was fourteen. Old now, Eamon decides to walk inland to die in a place where ‘he couldn’t smell the sea.” The music has lilting roll to it, like the sea itself and I love that Clark has managed to write a sea shanty about not being on the sea. For Eamon, land is the undiscovered country, sending him off with a chorus of:

“Sing fare thee well
Calm seas or swell
Red evening sky
Home and dry.”

As the saying goes, “red sky at night/sailor’s delight” and while the song is about life’s end, Clark makes that end peaceful and appropriate. We all should wish to be sent off so gently.

Not all the songs are so perfect. Clark tackles the subject of “Hollywood” but clearly doesn’t get the pace and danger of the place and it comes off like someone writing a song based on a travel book, not personal experience. For a better song about the same place, go with Concrete Blonde’s “Back in Hollywood.” That’s how it’s done, Guy.

Similarly, “Wrong Side of the Tracks” tries to be a bluesy song about poverty, but it is just a lesser tackling of a topic Clark handles much better on “Homeless” (from his superior release from 2002, “The Dark”).

The album also has a cover of the Townes Van Zandt masterpiece “If I Needed You.” I like Clark’s version, but he doesn’t do a lot different from Townes, and lacks a bit of the desperate need in his voice that makes the song work.

Of all the albums I purchased in my recent glut, “Somedays…” was the one on the bubble for me. I bought it because some of the highpoints are pretty strong, and I like its spirit, but it isn’t where I would start if I was trying to get someone into Guy Clark.


Best tracks:  Somedays You Write the Songs, The Guitar, Hemingway’s Whiskey, The Coat, Eamon

No comments: