Wednesday, February 5, 2014

CD Odyssey Disc 591: Belle and Sebastian

I went to the hand clinic today (turns out there is a clinic dedicated just to hand injuries – three locations, no less!  Truly, we live in the future). Turns out I have ligament damage in my thumb, which is why it is taking so long to heal.  I’m feeling the pressure of the Ulti season coming, and also the loss (however temporary) of playing the guitar, all because I thought I could do some stupid dance move I used to do when I was 25.

It is annoying, but at least now I have a treatment plan, which for “rub dirt on it” types like me is a big step. Fortunately my ability to listen to music requires no thumbs, so here’s the latest effort on that front.

Disc 591 is….If You’re Feeling Sinister
Artist: Belle and Sebastian

Year of Release: 1998

What’s up with the Cover? A young woman sits pensively, presumably overwhelmed by her most recent reading of Kafka’s “The Trial.”  Oh, the humanities.

How I Came To Know It: After being introduced to Belle and Sebastian via “Boy and the Arab Strap” (reviewed at Disc 540, I decided to try another one of their albums and I went with “If You’re Feeling Sinister” because it came chronologically right before “Arab Strap” (when drilling through a band’s discography it is usually better to err toward the beginning, not the end).

How It Stacks Up:  We have five Belle and Sebastian albums.  Of the five I’ll put “If You’re Feeling Sinister” right at the top, at number one. Primo.  None better, etc.

Rating:  5 stars

When life gives you lemonade, sometimes it is best to just dance and sing amid the lemon trees.  That’s what listening to Belle and Sebastian feels like, and “If You’re Feeling Sinister” is them at their best.

This is an album that makes me feel like I’m 25 again.  Back then everything seems so emotionally hard but at the same time there is a confidence– or failing that defiance – that sees you through the rough spots.  If it all feels a bit unreal, that’s OK, because dreams teach us important lessons too.

The youthfulness is present in the album’s musical approach as well, which is upbeat and lively.  The bass lines really pop (especially on “Like Dylan in the Movies”), and the songs feel like they are jumping on the front of every beat. The approach fills you with energy and makes you want to do a twirl around lamp-posts (I regret engaging in no twirling around lamp-posts on this listen, but in my defence it has been a bit too cold this week for twirling).

Twirling or not, the questions of what the hell to do with your life remain central to the record (note to youth – these questions don’t dissipate with age). Authority figures on “If You’re Feeling Sinister” rarely hold the answers.  An old veteran on a train (“Me and The Major”) suggests young people should join the army and despite an emotional connection to the old man the song begins with these limiting lines:

“Me and the Major could become close friends cause we
Get on the same train and he wants to talk
But there is too much history, too much biography between us.”

Later on the title track wisdom is sought in the pulpit, but again the answers provided don’t speak to the questions youth is asking.  I love this song and how it builds backward, starting by revealing the young and frustrated ‘walking to their death’ and only later revealing the advice given to them by “the vicar or whatever’ (great line) relating to the afterlife, when they were actually asking questions about their current lives, such as:

“How and why and when and where to go
How and why and when and where to follow.”

These aren’t questions someone else can answer of course, but the angst that we feel wishing there were just a blueprint for it all is beautifully captured in some of the most thoughtful pop music I’ve heard.

That thoughtful music has a lot in common melodically with sixties folk music, particularly Simon and Garfunkel.  And although not really in his style, “Me and the Major” features some harmonica solos reminiscent of early Bob Dylan.

Throughout it all there is Stuart Murdoch’s amazing voice, airy, pale and wan as befits the material, but never maudlin or weak as a result.

The album ends with one of my favourite songs, “Judy and the Dream of Horses.” It begins so quietly you can hear the sliding fingers up and down the acoustic guitar at the beginning (I don’t always like that, but it works here). It is the story of introspective Judy and the song she wrote about her dream of horses and how ‘she never felt so good except when she was sleeping.’  As someone who got his last two book ideas from dreams, I can relate.

And for all the sadness and loneliness and lack of answers, “Judy and the Dream of Horses” is the perfect summation to this album; timid at first, but building in tempo and confidence.  This record is not afraid to explore the hard questions, accept the lack of definitive answers for most of them, and yet celebrate the real gift, which is the process of puzzling that out. And it does it all in the form of a kick ass ear-worm of a pop song that can get singing along out loud on a city street.  The record doesn’t just dream, it invites you to dream along with it.

Best tracks: I like all the tracks.  In fact, I was going to give this album four stars, but when I got to this point of the review I couldn’t decide which songs I didn’t want to include – at which point I realized I probably had a five star album on my hands.

No comments: