Wednesday, September 11, 2013

CD Odyssey Disc 549: The Barra MacNeils

This is my third album in a row from the nineties, which continues to outpace all the other decades in the CD Odyssey. The nineties weren’t a better decade for music than any other, but I guess I bought a lot of music during those years, so it is slightly over-represented.

This next album has been in my collection since it came out.

Disc 549 is…. Closer to Paradise
Artist: The Barra MacNeils

Year of Release: 1993

What’s up with the Cover?  The band, with an artsy fade out around the edges to make everything look a bit antique, just like us folk fans like it.

How I Came To Know It:  I think I saw a video for “Darling Be Home” on CMT or something, loved it and decided to give them a chance on limited knowledge.

How It Stacks Up:  I have only this one Barra MacNeils album, so it can’t really stack up.  I used to also have 1995’s “The Question” but it never really found a place in my heart, and I sold it years ago with no regrets.

Rating:  4 stars

It has been years since this album was part of my heavy listening rotation, but when I first bought it I played the hell out of it.  Even now, it sounds so familiar it was hard to concentrate hard enough to have anything to say.  The songs are so well known to my ear they want to just blend into the general environment of wherever I am, but I made a conscious effort to give it my active ear over the last couple of days.  And my efforts were well rewarded too, because “Closer to Paradise” is a brilliant folk album.

Like so many great Canadian folk acts, the Barra MacNeils hail from Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, which seems to export musicians like France exports wine.  They are a family act, like the Rankins; less famous but with that same easy and free music that makes you hear the sea in the background and sets your heart at ease.

They have two vocalists, one male and one female and I like both equally.  Lucy MacNeil has a pure and honest voice, which lacks much edge but suits the band’s style perfectly.  The other vocalist is one of the group’s three brothers, but I’ll be damned if I know who it is.  Whoever he is, his voice is a nice tenor with a slight vibrato in it, again, relaxed but powerful.

The music is uncomplicated but well played, the way traditional folk music should sound.  It also has a professional production quality to it that I appreciate.  Like punk rock, a lot of folk musicians think that in order to have believability the music has to sound like it was hammered out inside a tin drum on a single take.  To my mind, there’s nothing wrong with taking some time in the studio to make the recording as good as it can be.  No auto-tune or excessive meddling, mind you, just a quality recording environment to let the music shine.

As noted earlier, I fell for this album because of “Darling Be Home,” a song with a female lead, pining for her man to return to her from a trip away.  Hearing this song makes me miss my own wife (right now she’s out at a meeting, but it wouldn’t matter if she were down the hall or in Guam, the song makes me miss her).  It is a pretty and simple song, and I’ve heard it a thousand times, but I did manage to notice something new this time around.

It was the odd lyrics.  They strike the appropriate pining tone, but on this listen I realized how much they reminded me of Ronnie James Dio lyrics; sort of ridiculous and yet somehow strangely meaningful:

“Go and beat your crazy head against the sky
Try and see beyond the houses in your eyes
It’s OK to shoot the moon
But darling be home soon.”

I think I was with them up to “shoot the moon.”  I assume it means ‘pursue your dream’ but it had me thinking of riding tigers and seeing rainbows in the dark.  As far as I’m concerned, they’re all worthwhile activities, except maybe beating your crazy head against the sky.  That doesn’t seem like it would be terribly rewarding.

The album has a good mix of new and traditional songs, and I’m happy to say the Barra MacNeil’s original stuff is as good or better as any of the traditional fare.  I’ve said it on previous reviews, and I’ll say it again; the hallmark of a great folk song is that it sounds timeless, leaving you unsure whether it was written last year or last century.

Case in point is “Caledonia” a cover of a Dougie MacLean song that is neither young nor old in the folk lexicon (it was written in 1977).  The song is about missing the old country (Caledonia being another name for Scotland).  I just listened for the first time to the original and it is pretty enough, but it really sores with Lucy MacNeil’s voice.  The song turns the pining for human relationships expressed in “Darling Be Home” into a love of homeland.  I was in Scotland in 1996, and hearing “Caledonia” always makes me want to go back. 

Not everything on “Closer to Paradise” is wan and wistful, though.  The song selection ranges all over, from the history of east coast rum runners in “Chase the Man” to songs about the simple love of music like “Dancing We Would Go.”

As a very novice guitar player, “Dancing We Would Go” appeals to me.  I particularly like this section:

“If all I had was money
Jewels were all I owned
Spend it in a hurry
Sell the shiny stones
Buy myself a fiddle
Fiddle with a bow
Call up all the neighbours
Dancing we would go.”

No matter how much money I had – it would still be music I’d want to be doing, and that’s the great thing about music.  Rich or poor, it’s there for you.

And over the years, this album has been there for me as well, just like an old guitar it is always waiting for me to pick it up, and enjoy it all over again.

Best tracks:  Darling Be Home, Chase the Man, Dancing We Would Go, Caledonia, Jigs:  The Dusty Windowsill and The O’Keeffe’s of Dublin

No comments: