Wednesday, May 22, 2013

CD Odyssey Disc 516: Gordon Lightfoot


I’ve had a very positive week so far.  I’ve been enjoying my work, and I’m only a week away from a much-anticipated holiday.  I’m just back from an enjoyable guitar lesson and I’ve got music in my heart.  Well that last part is always true, but sometimes it is closer to the surface than others.

Disc 516 is…. Dream Street Rose
Artist: Gordon Lightfoot

Year of Release: 1980

What’s up with the Cover?  Gord keeps it simple with a ‘here I am singin’ my songs’ shot.  Unfortunately, the low resolution and black and white look to the cover make it seem like it is one of those where I lost the booklet and have replaced it with a photocopy.  I can assure you this is the original, mediocre as it is.

How I Came To Know It:  As I’ve mentioned previously, I’ve known Gordon Lightfoot since I was a kid.  I found a tape of “Dream Street Rose” in the bargain bin at A&B sound over twenty years ago – I think it was $3.95 or something like that.  I bought it because it was cheap and because I didn’t recognize any of the songs from my “Gord’s Gold” greatest hits package, so it would be new material for me.

How It Stacks Up:  I have eleven of Gordon Lightfoot’s studio albums. “Dream Street Rose” is not the strongest, but it holds up OK.  I’ll put it eighth or ninth.

Rating:  3 stars.

“Dream Street Rose” is the last of Gord’s “pre-mumble” albums.  It is not considered a classic, but it does show that artists can still bang out quality records many years into their career if they put their shoulder to the wheel.

In the case of “Dream Street Rose” the wheel is likely to be part of a ship’s helm, with Lightfoot continuing his long fascination with nautical themes.  I’m a sucker for nautical themed folk music, so this is fine with me.    The album’s best example is “Ghosts of Cape Horn” which starts with a catchy melody, whistled over some gentle guitar picking.  Lightfoot immortalizes the thousands of sailors that have died mostly nameless deaths braving Cape Horn around the southern tip of South America:

“Come all you old sea dogs from Devon
Southampton, Penzance and Kinsale
You were caught by the chance
Of a sailor’s last dance
It was not meant to be
And you read all your letters
From oceans away
Then you took them to the bottom
Of the sea”

I once met someone who had navigated around Cape Horn without power (i.e. sailed), not once, but twice.  He was the living embodiment of a salty sea dog, leathery with deep creases in his face full of salt.  He looked tough as nails but as “Ghosts of Cape Horn” underscores, even your best effort might not save you if you hit a bad patch of weather going around the Cape.  I like that Gord pays homage to these unfortunates even as he imagines them doomed to haunt the wrecks:

“See them all in sad repair
Demons dance everywhere
Southern gales, tattered sails
And none to tell the tale.”

Except you Gord, - you told their tale.  Maybe that will give them a modicum of respite from their weary haunting as a result.

On “Sea of Tranquility” Lightfoot sings about sailing from midnight ‘til noon, but you wouldn’t be sailing on that particular sea without a space suit.  Instead, Gord sings about the various ways to enjoy the natural world here on the earth by the light of the moon, which is both safer and more economical.  Maybe one day I’ll be able to visit the actual Sea of Tranquility if I live long enough.  If so, I’ll remember to pack the song to appreciate the experience.

While the album has its share of whimsical folk music, it is heavily influenced by country music as well, with typical songs of love and heartache.  This far into his career, Lightfoot constructs a beautiful song in what seems like an effortless fashion.  “Dream Street Rose” has a strong country music component, and while it is a simple love song, it is also a deeply optimistic one.  Sometimes your partner is temporarily away, and that just means you appreciate them all the more when they return.  The guitar work (Terry Clements on lead) is amazing as well, and rivals anything on Lightfoot’s more well-known records.  I’d love to be able to play a simple melody this beautifully one day.

Whisper My Name” is less upbeat, and while it references plenty of wooing, it is with an expectation that love is ephemeral.  Sometimes all we’re left of relationships are the whispered names of those who’ve drifted out of our lives along the way.  Musically the song captures both the sadness and triumph of these old relationships as well.  not every love affair ends with the permanent romance of “Dream Street Rose” but that doesn’t mean they weren’t worthwhile in their way.

I know this album really well (for years it was one of my only Gordon Lightfoot albums other than Gord’s Gold) but I have to admit it is uneven in quality.  If it were on vinyl, side one would be considered great, but side two merely average.  Owning this originally on tape this was particularly annoying because it led to fast forwarding large sections (not on the CD Odyssey though – Rule #3:  a full listen, monkey!)  Ideally on a tape if it can’t be all good, you want the first half of side one and the second half of side two great.  That way you can just keep flipping it mid-way through.

Over the years I’ve just let it play through though, and as a result I’ve gotten to know the other songs and their subtleties have grown on me.  I think this record is a solid three star effort, and although not where I would point newcomers to Gord, I’d have no problem recommending it for someone well into his catalogue already.

Best tracks:  Sea of Tranquility, Ghosts of Cape Horn, Dream Street Rose, Whisper My Name

No comments: