Wednesday, March 27, 2013

CD Odyssey Disc 498: The Proclaimers


A couple weeks back I skipped guitar practice to watch the Bruins play the Penguins and we lost.  I blamed the vengeful Gods of Guitar Practice.

Tonight I skipped most of the Bruins/Habs game to go to guitar lessons.  Sadly, we still lost, but I can’t blame the Gods of Guitar Practice.  Instead I’ll fall back on the time-honoured tradition of blaming the officiating and bad luck.  Damn I hate the Montreal Canadiens.

Disc 498 is… Sunshine on Leith
Artist: The Proclaimers

Year of Release: 1988

What’s up with the Cover?  The Reid brothers look out on urban Scotland, and give us a backside view of their eighties jeans.  It was not a good decade for jeans.

How I Came To Know It:  I first heard these guys when I was going to university in the late eighties.  They were pretty big on campus for a couple of years.  I bought this CD very early on and I’ve had it in my collection for over twenty years now.

How It Stacks Up:  I only have two Proclaimers albums; this one and “This Is The Story” which I reviewed back at Disc 363 (also the day after I got my last tattoo – January 29, 2012).  Of the two albums, I prefer “Sunshine on Leith.”

Rating:  4 stars.

When you proclaim something you do more than tell someone, you lay it down like it is some kind of gospel, and that’s how this record by the Proclaimers comes across – big, brash and unapologetic.

The boys play their acoustic guitars loud and they sing brazenly on top of it, mixing in love and politics in equal measure.  I can’t decide if they are the male version of the Indigo Girls or the Scottish version of Billy Bragg.

Like their previous release, the politics once again strongly reference Scottish nationalism.  Songs like “Cap In Hand” are pointed, but more directed at Scottish complacency than at any foreign power.  In places it sounds like they’re channeling Sean Connery on a bad night, but I still love this song.  It feels like a soccer chant and a picket slogan wrapped up into one guitar strumming package of protest folk.

More thoughtful, and heart wrenching is “What Do You Do” which paints the distressing picture of what it is like to be a majority community, but to feel like a minority within a larger confederation:

“What do you do
When Democracy’s all through
What do you do
When minority means you?”

It is a longstanding political question the world over, with no perfect answer.  Fortunately, we don’t solve political questions on “A Creative Maelstrom,” we discuss music.  Huzzah!  On that note, it should be mentioned The Proclaimers aren’t always dour and politically combative.  For example, “It’s Saturday Night” is a funny song about a bender that sounds like it could’ve been a country and western hit in the fifties except for updated activities like this:

“So let me walk straight, don’t let me feel pain
I’m gonna scratch cars, with my keys again.”

The lyrics say “Sex Pistols” but the tune says “Hank Williams” and the American country influences don’t stop there.  Considering how long I’ve owned this album and how many times I’ve listened to it, I was more than a little embarrassed to only now notice that “My Old Friend the Blues” is a remake of the Steve Earle song recorded for his album “Guitar Town” two years earlier.  Major kudos to the Proclaimers for remaking one of my all-time favourite artists.  I particularly like the guitar playing on the Proclaimers version, and the harmonies of the twin brothers are on fine display.  That said, overall I still prefer the sadder, more introspective Steve Earle version.  With the exception of the brilliant guitar work, the remake is just a little too stilted and by rote.

Of course, this album can’t be discussed without noting the huge song that propelled them briefly to international stardom – three times.  “I’m Gonna Be” was a fairly big hit when the album came out in 1988, and then even more son when it was rediscovered first in the 1993 romantic film “Benny and Joon” and then again in 2001 for “Shrek.”

So every decade, “I’m Gonna Be” got massive radio play, to the point where this otherwise very good song may be terminally overexposed.  It is a damned shame, because it was never a bad song, but I still wanted to skip it (and “I’m On My Way” as well, which isn’t far behind in terms of overplay).

For good or ill, Odyssey rules preclude skipping songs – a full listen, monkey!  I dutifully complied and found myself begrudgingly enjoying the song yet another time despite my fervent wishes to the contrary.

The biggest disappointment of “Sunshine on Leith” is that it is universally remembered for these two latterly mentioned tracks, which while OK are at best middle of the pack compared to some of the lesser known gems on this balanced and musically stimulating folk record.

To know more about some of those other songs, all you would have had to do was pay attention but in case you haven’t, just check out the next section of this entry.

Best tracks:  Cap In Hand, Sean, Sunshine on Leith, What Do You Do, It’s Saturday Night

No comments: