Thursday, January 10, 2013

CD Odyssey Disc 475: Luka Bloom


My goal for 2013 is to learn to play the guitar.  I guess having a full time job, trying to publish one novel, write a second and continue the CD Odyssey just wasn’t enough to occupy my time.

As of this moment, I can’t even read sheet music, so I’ve got a ways to go, but I’ve at least shopped for a guitar (and learned that finding the selection for left handed guitars sadly wanting) and will soon have one of my very own, which seems a logical first step.

This next album has the kind of music I’d like to be able to play, and inspires me to stick to it until I can.

Disc 475 is…Riverside
Artist: Luka Bloom

Year of Release: 1990

What’s up with the Cover?  It is a Giant Head Cover.  Luka Bloom hasn’t mastered the Giant Head Cover as well as experts like Gordon Lightfoot, however.  This one is blurry and Luka looks distracted, with a slight edge of creepy.

How I Came To Know It:  As I noted when I reviewed my other Luka Bloom album (way back at Disc 21), I once helped get Canadian folk icon Mae Moore out of a lineup at a bar where I was a regular.  She and her friend joined me and my pals for a drink, and before she moved on with her evening, she did me a solid in return by recommending Luka Bloom to me.  Thanks, Mae!

How It Stacks Up:  I only have two Luka Bloom albums, and of the two “Riverside” is hands down my favourite.

Rating:  4 stars

This is another album from the days when I was wholly enamoured with folk music (I’m still enamoured but now I have many other genres I share my love with).  I’ve had “Riverside” since 1992 and it has never gone long outside of the rotation in my CD player.

One reason for this is Bloom’s guitar playing.  It isn’t like these songs are complicated musically, but Bloom is able to combine energetic Indigo Girl-like strumming with beautiful classical picking in a way that makes both better.  When I hear these songs I imagine myself playing them once I finally get my musical act together.  It is unlikely I’ll ever play them as well, but hey – that’s what the CD is for.

While the opening track, “Delirious” is a little too frenetic and unfocused for my tastes, Bloom quickly settles down with “Dreams in America” a six minute mood piece that showcases his mournful and deeply evocative singing voice.  The song conveys that displaced energy that comes when you’re exploring a new land (Bloom is from Ireland, and “Riverside” is the beginning of his North American experience).

His more upbeat songs like “Over the Moon” and “An Irishman in Chinatown” are fun and lively, but I find Bloom at his best at a slower tempo where he can wring more emotion out of both his guitar and his voice.

The two best songs in this regard are “Hudson Lady” and “The Man is Alive.”

“Hudson Lady” is a love song about a woman who is clearly stolen Bloom’s heart, although in this case that ‘woman’ is the Hudson River.  While comparing a river to a lover may be an old and oft-used theme, Bloom nails it.  The gentle strumming of his guitar, as he opens with:

“Though I want you badly
I can get uneasy.”

Is sung so confidentially and quietly, it’s like he’s lying on a pillow looking across at his lover, feeling awkward and exposed in the morning light.  Damn, maybe it is about a woman.  Frankly I don’t want it clarified either way; I like the uncertainty of the subject, so artfully coupled with the certainty of the relationship.

The Man is Alive” is a song about a man sharing his childhood experiences with someone and realizing how deeply they were both affected by their respective fathers, each of whom died when they were young (I think).

My relationship to the song has changed its meaning over the years.  Initially it made me think of Mae Moore, because she had recommended the album, and at the time I associated her with the Canadian west coast (ironically, she is actually from Manitoba, so scratch that theory).  That said the song does feature Vancouver mountainsides, so at least that part is accurate.

Later it made me think of my own father, who died of alcoholism in 1994.  With lines like:

“The man is alive
It’s taken me so long to see
The man is alive and breathing
The man is alive in me.”

It served as a reminder to not share his fate.  Sometimes part of our influence from our parents is as much about expressing how we are unlike them, as how we are similar.  Whether we cling to or reject their influences, they influence us just the same.

And most recently it’s made me think of my stepfather, who is currently suffering from dementia.  My stepfather taught me that men can be gentle and still be men.  He is a soft spoken man who opened his heart up to a woman and two children as easily as some people say hello.  We had a lot of great and fun years together, and so it is strange that it has taken me so long to see that the song relates more to him than anyone.  Given his situation, it also rings all the more tragic as I watch him fade away from himself slowly and inexorably.  The song reminds me that he’ll always be alive in me – at least on my better days.

Back to the music (this is a music blog after all, not a diary) which is consistent throughout.  Irish jigs on songs like “You Couldn’t Have Come at a Better Time” pair surprisingly well alongside introspective numbers like “Gone to Pablo” with the consistency throughout being Bloom’s beautiful voice and careful folk playing.

One song in particular, “The Hill of Allen,” has a special place in my heart.  It is an instrumental, and the final song on the album.  As I noted when I reviewed Clannad’s “Past Present” at Disc 469, I used to suffer from some pretty bad insomnia and “The Hill of Allen” with its rolling rhythm and fading guitar was like a replacement for the sound of the ocean after I moved into the city.  I’d turn out all the lights in my basement suite in Oak Bay, fast forward the album to the end, and then climb into bed and drift off.  For an album with as much energy as “Riverside” it is the perfect fade out regardless of whether you hit the sack afterward or otherwise.

This album may be uneven in places, and for most people it is probably a three star effort at best, but because it has such a special importance for me, and because it can still get me feeling thoughtful (and even a little maudlin) twenty years later, I’m giving it a solid four out of five.

Best tracks:  Dreams in America, Gone to Pablo, The Man Is Alive, Hudson Lady, The Hill of Allen

No comments: