Tuesday, December 18, 2012

CD Odyssey Disc 469: Clannad


Some albums aren’t the greatest albums in your collection, but they have enough associated memories that you have a hard time not smiling when you put them on.  This next one is one of those.

Disc 469 is…PastPresent
Artist: Clannad

Year of Release: 1989, with music from 1983-1989

What’s up with the Cover?  Oh, folk artists, you really struggle with the cover art.  The ghostly face of a giant woman haunts a field of some kind of grain (I think).  She looks apprehensive about something – maybe it’s the realization that the foliage is making her look like she has a beard.

How I Came To Know It:  In the eighties, I was a fan of an ITV series on Robin Hood called “Robin of Sherwood” that ran from 1984-1986.  I loved the melodramatic flair of the show, which starred Michael Praed as Robin of Loxley for the first two years.  I thought Praed was the best Robin Hood I’d seen since Errol Flynn, but at the end of Season Two they killed him off.  Spoiler alert – it happens when the Sheriff of Nottingham finally figures out he can track the thieves through Sherwood Forest with dogs – who knew? This awkward plot and the loss of Praed to the series were both genuinely depressing.  When Praed later resurfaced as “Prince Michael” on the insufferable soap opera “Dynasty” I was even more depressed.

Despite that hiccup, “Robin of Sherwood” remains one of my favourite tellings of the Robin Hood legend.  I really dug the theme song “Robin (The Hooded Man)” which I discovered was by the band Clannad.  Although a famous folk band in the UK, I’d never heard of Clannad at the time, but I went in search of the CD featuring the music from the show.  This was in the days before internet shopping, and I didn’t find it, but I did find the compilation album, “PastPresent” that had two of the tracks from the show, “Robin (the Hooded Man)” and “Lady Marian.”

How It Stacks Up:  As long time readers of A Creative Maelstrom will know, I don’t ‘stack up’ compilations because they are not true albums, but just a collection of singles.

Rating:  n/a – ‘best of’ albums aren’t rateable!

“Robin of Sherwood” was a formative series for me – full of melodrama, honour, derring-do and feats of heroism, but “PastPresent” sadly did not deliver the same magic. 

Robin (the Hooded Man)” was a very cool track, and I still enjoy the odd mix of synthesizer, violins, hints of martial drumming and a chorus singing “Robin, the hooded man,” all breathy and mysterious.  However, it has never recaptured the magic present when I heard it sung over the credits as an impressionable fourteen year old, settling in for an episode of my favourite show.  But I digress…

Back to the album, which despite helping open my eyes to a new kind of music, was overall disappointing.  Clannad had been around since the mid-seventies, but “PastPresent” only covers the period from 1983-1989.  Regrettably, by this time they had drifted quite a ways from traditional Celtic folk and into new age.  In the eighties a lot of Celtic/new age hybrids were infected with the same production values that were wrecking rock and roll at the time, and Clannad did not escape the trend.  The songs are flat and fuzzy in production, and whereas former band member Enya had gone on to show the wonders of layered production sound, Clannad’s efforts at it are a mixed bag.

On up-tempo tracks the sound comes off a bit trite.  I expect it is supposed to be anthemic but songs like “Something to Believe In” and “Stepping Stone” lose their resonance with the inclusion of drum machine beats, and the sing-song voice common to folk vocals doesn’t mesh well with the pop production sounds.  Even the brilliant vocals of Maire Brennan can’t rescue these tracks from the ill-placed saxophone solos.

Also on the gripe list, this record has sixteen songs, which is two too many for almost any album.  Worse, two of those songs are “The Hunter” and “World of Difference,” both songs that are not available anywhere else.  Neither song is particularly good, but beyond that I am infuriated with artists that promote their compilation albums by adding one or two songs that don’t appear anywhere else.  Fine for someone like me (I only have two of Clannad’s studio albums) but a slap in the face of fans that have faithfully bought every release, and are now confronted with buying a bunch of those songs twice just to get the two they’re missing.  At least that’s how it was in the days before singles could be downloaded, which was definitely the case in 1989.  Naughty Clannad!

Despite these disappointing business decisions, on the album’s softer, more introspective songs the music arrangements works surprisingly well.  This is particularly true for the the traditional Gaelic tracks.  My two favourite songs are “Coinleach Ghlas an Fhomhair” and “Buachaill an Eirne” two old folk songs re-imagined in Clannad’s new sound.  The production on both is very new age, but the melodies are so beautiful they can survive almost any level of tomfoolery in the studio.  In fact, counter-intuitively the ambient sound that is out of place on the more modern songs works well with these more traditional numbers.  Brennan’s voice sounds ethereal and otherworldly wise.  I imagine these songs are the sort of thing you’d hear walking through an elven forest like Lothlorien or Mirkwood.

When I was much younger I used to suffer from bad bouts of insomnia, and both these songs were staples in helping me get to sleep.  They filled the room with a calmness that helped quell whatever was going on in my over-active imagination.  For all of this album’s shortcomings, I owe it for that.

I also owe it for being a very early album that put me on the path toward Celtic folk music; a journey I’ve enjoyed now for over twenty years.  This record is far from perfect, but it has its moments, and it has given me a few of my own.

Best tracks:  Theme from “Harry’s Game”, Coinleach Ghlas an Fhomhair, Robin (the Hooded Man), Newgrange, Buachaill an Eirne

No comments: