Saturday, August 25, 2012

CD Odyssey Disc 432: Radiohead


At last the weekend has arrived!  I am hopeful for a very uneventful one, in the same way I am hoping my next record is better than this one was.

Disc 432 is…Amnesiac
Artist: Radiohead

Year of Release: 2001

What’s up with the Cover?  A child has apparently doodles on a frayed piece of fabric.  This cover is uninspiring, pointlessly obtuse and overwhelmingly awful.  The CD booklet inside is filled with 26 more pages of equally gag-worthy deconstructionist crap.

How I Came To Know It: As I’ve noted in previous Radiohead reviews, I’ve known this band since the beginning but Sheila is more into them than I am.  “Amnesiac” is either her drilling through their collection or (more likely) me buying it for her because I know she likes Radiohead and assume that, like me, when someone likes a band they want to have every album by that band.

How It Stacks Up:  We have seven Radiohead albums and when I reviewed “Hail to the Thief” back at Disc 214 I said I’d be optimistic and say it was the worst.  Sadly, my optimism was misplaced.  “Amnesiac” is the worst Radiohead album I have heard.  With three still to review, I sincerely hope this is as low as the bar goes.

Rating:  1 star

Thom Yorke and Radiohead, you are so clever with sound – so why does this album make me want you to take a long walk off a short pier?  Because being clever with sound doesn’t mean making listenable music.

Music is for listening, guys, not for demonstrating how niftily you can use the sound of some object striking an empty oil drum.  Or whatever the hell that sound is that starts this album off with the exceptionally poorly spelled track, “Packt Like Sardines in a Crushd Tin Box.”  Get it the words are crushed, like the sardines!  Yeah, I get it, and it is stupid.  Use your words, gentlemen.  Not that it matters what this song (or most of these songs) is called, since the title bears little resemblance to what they’re about.

Packt…” goes on into a strange and pointless journey into sound, with Thom Yorke’s alien voice singing “I’m a reasonable man, get off my case” over and over again.  It came maddeningly close to a song at that point, but instead of developing it into something we were treated to a wide array of sounds – some computer generated, some sampled, none of which go anywhere.  I’m a reasonable man, Radiohead, but seriously, get off my case.

And that is pretty much a microcosm of this whole record.  Full of half-started songs that are fully developed into some 21st century incarnation of the Art of Noise, only completely stripped of any opportunity for the listener to say “oh, yeah!” in a deep voice, and devoid of any breathy chick-a-chick-aaah!s.

I have a great deal of respect for Radiohead as a band.  They are clearly chock-full of talent, and their first two albums (“Pablo Honey” and “The Bends”) are excellent.  They even have a few in later years that are worth your time.  On “Amnesiac” I could only find one song worth my time, “I Might Be Wrong,” which has a groovy guitar riff (I suspect sampled, but so what?) and Thom’s ‘falsetto in water’ sounding voice fitting in with a strange beauty that is the band at their best.  Radiohead at their best is pretty good, too.

However, as a record “Amnesiac” is not Radiohead at their best.  This record is self-indulgent sound-making.  It is like electronica jazz, without the soul that jazz brings even the most obtuse songs of that genre.

Songs like “Pulk/Pull Revolving Doors” made me feel like I was intercepting signals from an alien spacecraft on my short wave radio.  I guess I should’ve expected that, with a title like “Pulk/Pull Revolving Doors” – yes “pulk” is not a typo.  In addition to being pointless, this song has a rolling bass line that on headphones makes it feel like your ears are popping from an elevation descent.  How clever, Radiohead – you really recreated that unpleasant sensation!  Now how about some music?

There are those among you that will simply say that I don’t get this stuff, or that my musical knowledge is too limited to give a meaningful review of it.  You may be right on both counts, but I’m not a classically trained musician, nor am I a computer technician.  I’m just a guy who likes music, and listens to a lot of it, giving my opinion.

However, desperate for understanding I broke my usual self-imposed Modernist approach to music reviews and looked the record up on Wikipedia, where, unsurprisingly, the album had received reams of critical attention.  For the above mentioned “Pulk/Pull Revolving Doors” there is even some background on how they made the song on a Roland MC505 sequencer.  Band member Colin Greenwood is quoted as saying

"You give the machine a key and then you just talk into it. It desperately tries to search for the music in your speech, and produces notes at random. If you've assigned it a key, you've got music."

Um…not in my world you don’t.  You’ve got a science experiment; maybe you’ve even got an interesting exploration of new sounds that could one day become music.  But the proof in what you’ve got is how listenable it is, how emotionally evocative it is, how it speaks to your soul.  Most of the songs on “Amnesiac” speak to my soul about as much as a phone ringing, or the buzzer that tells me when my laundry is done.

Of course, the one song I liked is “I Might Be Wrong,” and the title is a fitting reminder that art is different for everyone.  Some people must love this record – it went #1 in Canada, the United Kingdom and Germany, and #2 in the United States.  It is also a companion piece to “Kid A” a critical darling of a record that I’ve yet to review.  After listening to “Amnesiac” I can’t say I’m looking forward to it.

Best tracks:  I Might Be Wrong

No comments: