Thursday, May 17, 2012

CD Odyssey Disc 400: Ministry


I managed the hat trick today – a term I’m going to start using when I get to the gym three times in one week.  This is the goal every week, but you’d be amazed just how intrusive fun can be on a workout schedule.

Anyway, today I hit another big milestone – my 400th album review!  Still miles to go before I sleep, but I like my journeys dark and deep.

Disc 400 is…Psalm 69:  The Way To Succeed And the Way To Suck Eggs
Artist: Ministry

Year of Release: 1992

What’s Up With The Cover?:  A shadowy angelic figure surrounded by a variety of objects that would be at home in a Twilight Zone intro – clocks, eyeballs, razorblades.  You know, creepy stuff.

How I Came To Know It: Two nightclubs – Scandals in Victoria, and Love Affair in Vancouver, played the hell out of these songs in 1992/93.  I was there.  My roommate Greg owned the album in the day, and after we stopped living together I looked for it off and on for years.  I finally found a used copy at a local record store about a year ago.

Coincidentally, one of my friends today, Catherine, worked the coat check at Scandals back when I was going there to drink and mosh my face off.  We didn’t know each other then, although she probably checked my coat more than a few times, but she also has fond memories of this record.  So this review goes out to all the former coat check girls out there, but mostly to Cat, the coolest of them all. 

How It Stacks Up:  I only have this one Ministry album.  I’ve heard another one – the deliciously titled “The Mind Is A Terrible Thing To Taste” – but I only own “Psalm 69.”

Rating: 4 stars

Sometimes you need music that makes you feel like you’re part of society, and sometimes you need music that makes you feel alienated from society.  This record is for those times when you need music that does both at the same time.

In the early nineties, my friends and I frequently needed the combination, and fortunately at that time there was lots of music that fit the bill.  The best nightclub for this combination back then was Love Affair in Vancouver, but I only got over there infrequently.  A smaller, but equally enjoyable time could be had in Victoria at Scandals.

Scandals was located on Yates street, and today it has become Lyle’s Place records – if you go there take a good look at the stylish big wooden counter where the cash registers are – that used to be the bar.  It is a fine local music store where you can buy old CDs, especially classic rock and heavy music.  Fittingly, it is the place I found my copy of “Psalm 69” after all those years.

As a CD, “Psalm 69” occupied a tiny part of a shelf of music, but in 1992, “Psalm 69” filled that space with the best industrial rock the Ministry has ever made.  We’d go down there on the weekends, of course, but the great day was Alternative Tuesday, when the music was even heavier.  Sunday was also pretty good – being “Three for One” night.

I have a minor beef with part of industrial rock’s legacy, which (to my mind) partly led to offshoots of electronica dance music, and eventually that weird, goes-nowhere sound of bands like Massive Attack.

Yeah, I just called out Massive Attack, the most inappropriately named band I’ve ever heard.  If you really want a massive attack, then get the Ministry’s “Psalm 69.”  This record is an assault of sound; heavy, driving music that is oppressive and powerful.  When I heard it I had the experience I used to get as a teenager discovering metal.  It was so low down and angry, and yet the music filled me with visceral, strangely positive energy.

The opening track, “N.W.O.” is instantly recognizable with its drumbeat, its sampled siren and some guy going “heh – heh – heh” over and over again.  Then the guitar riff comes in, by which time the dance floor at Scandals was full.  The bouncers would close in and watch closely for the mosh pit, ready to break it up when it got out of hand, but it would always reform at least twice during “N.W.O.” – the song couldn’t be denied.

Other huge tracks on this album included “Just One Fix” and “Jesus Built My Hotrod” – great for essentially the same reasons.  The songs had a layer of different sounds, repetitive and yet organic, which gave you all kinds of leeway on the dance floor to work your hands and feet into furious action.  Or, if you weren’t feeling terribly creative that night, to just bump into other people, who would in turn bump into you.

This album is not about lyrics, although the spoken word intro to “Jesus Built My Hotrod” is pretty hilarious:

“Soon I discovered that this rock thing was true.  Jerry Lee Lewis was the devil.  Jesus was an architect previous to his career as a profit.  All of a sudden I found myself in love with the world so there was only one thing that I could do.  It was ding-a-ding dang my dang-a-long ling long.”

Not much to add.  We’ve all felt from time to time the need to ding-a-ding dang our dan-a-long ling longs, I suppose.

Scare Crow” and the title track also deserve honourable mention, if only for their awesome heaviness.  Sadly, the record peters out a little bit with “Corrosion” and “Grace,” two songs that reminded me how Love and Rockets songs sound on a bad day.  These were not enough to dent the four star rating of the record though.

Years later, listening to it walking to work in a spring morning didn’t cast this album in its best light, but it somehow still maintained its energy.  It just made me miss the mosh pit.

Best tracks: N.W.O., Just One Fix, Jesus Built My Hotrod.

No comments: