Saturday, September 10, 2011

CD Odyssey Disc 319: Judas Priest

Despite only having 10 Judas Priest albums (a mere ten!) the Odyssey has proven very fond of the British rockers. This is my 7th review of Priest, although sadly not my favourite.

Disc 319 is...Sin After Sin

Artist: Judas Priest

Year of Release: 1977

What’s Up With The Cover?: It appears to be ancient temple dedicated to sin. Although you can't see it in the picture very well, right above the pillars "Sin After Sin" is written in silver block lettering. This is the kind of temple I could get behind.

How I Came To Know It: I've known Priest since I was a teenager, but I only recently discovered this record while drilling through their back catalogue.

How It Stacks Up: Judas Priest is consistently good, so the competition is fierce, and "Sin After Sin" just doesn't measure up to the same calibre of some of the records I've previously reviewed on the Odyssey. I'd say it is one of the weaker ones - I'm going to go with 8th or 9th out the 10 I have.

Rating: 3 stars.

"Sin After Sin" is Judas Priest's third studio album, and the first that I think has that full 'heavy metal' sound that we associate with the band because of more widely known records that came later.

Halford's voice is still youthful and fantastic, particularly on "The Last Rose of Summer" an original song written by Rob Halford and guitarist Glenn Tipton, which sounds like it was updated to metal from some classical folk song. (My confusion is warranted, mind you, since there is a traditional folk song called "The Last Rose of Summer" - but it is a different song).

His voice, usually employed in a melodic assault over top of Priest's memorable guitar licks is instead restrained and almost operatic as Judas Priest shows the range they're capable of when they are suitably motivated. The band also covers a Joan Baez song, "Diamonds and Rust" to good and similar effect.

Despite the band's willingness to branch out with a different sound, I felt that when they 'went heavy' on "Sin After Sin' they left me wanting in places. Don't get me wrong; the killer riffs are still there (particularly on "Sinner" and "Raw Deal"), and Halford is in fine vocal form. It is just that songs generally didn't elevate my energy level like Priest songs usually do. They are good, but not great, and after recent reviews of records like "Killing Machine", "British Steel" and "Defenders of the Faith", I expect greatness from this band. It may sound unduly harsh but hey, they set the bar high, not me.

In places it even sounds like they are trying to do some kind of prog sound - like in the song "Starbreaker" which gave me strong associations with early Rush, or the six minute double song "Let Us Prey/Call For The Priest" which ranges through a number of defined movements - some of it having the furious, relentless guitar playing that would define the classic record, "Defenders of The Faith." However, at this early stage, they don't quite bring it all together. Again, the songs are good, but not great, and left me wanting more.

My version of this record is the remastered one, and as ever Judas Priest is suitably restrained, only adding two bonus tracks. The first is a song called "Race With the Devil", a song about how you...er...can't win a race with the devil. According to the liner notes, it was a song taken from an early jam session and never released. That's a pity, because I think it is an excellent song, and one of my favourites on the record.

The other bonus track is a live version of "Jawbreaker" originally from the "Defenders of the Faith" album. They are a good band live, but it didn't overly inspire me beyond that.

I ultimately enjoyed "Sin After Sin" but I think it could have been so much more, and for that reason I can't go above three stars, even for as great a band as the Priest.

Best tracks: Sinner, Last Rose of Summer, Raw Deal, Race With the Devil

No comments: