Wednesday, May 4, 2011

CD Odyssey Disc 270: Black Sabbath

Today I had to go to work just to start clearing out my office. I thought it would be depressing but it was actually OK.

Helping me along both there and back, was yet another kick ass album from the great Black Sabbath. Everything these guys touch turns to rock.

Disc 270 is...Master of Reality


Artist: Black Sabbath

Year of Release: 1971

What’s Up With The Cover?: Band name, album title, and that's about it. I like this album cover's simplicity and seventies vibe.

How I Came To Know It: After Nick and Spence re-ignited my passion for Sabbath many years ago, this was just me drilling through the collection.

How It Stacks Up: As I've noted in previous reviews, I have 11 Black Sabbath albums. Competition is fierce among these great records, so "Master of Reality" could only manage to lodge itself in at 5th, but that's pretty good.

Rating: 4 stars.

There's not much more to say about Black Sabbath that I haven't said before, so I'll quickly recap (the Father of all heavy metal, one of the greatest rock bands ever) and then move on to "Master of Reality" in particular.

The first thing that jumped out at me was Bill Ward's drumming on this album. He really hits them hard, and more often than not is delivering a complicated rythym that is just as important as Tony Iommi's guitar in creating the driving riffs on this record. This is particularly noticeable on "Children of the Grave" and during the bridge of "Sweet Leaf" which is one third Iommi guitar solo, one third Ward drum solo, and one third of them both hammering away at the same time - each making the other sound more interesting.

That is the great thing about listening to Sabbath - even after years of play, there is always something new coming out of their music. They would be great with their guitar riffs alone ("Sweet Leaf" has one of the best riffs ever written), but they are not content with that. They usually have two or three incredible riffs in one song, each of which feeds off the others thematically. Add in complex basslines, the aforementioned drums and the staccato rock chant of Ozzy Osbourne's voice and it is a modern day symphony.

Lyrically, this album is the source of much internet debate; chiefly with respect to "After Forever" which fans and critics alike tend to argue over.

The song's lyrics admonishing people for being hostile to religion, and warn that you'll have to answer for such decisions in the afterlife. I am not a religious persion, but this is certainly Ozzy delivering some of his best stuff. My favourite section:

"I think it was true it was people like you that crucified Christ.
I think it is sad the opinion you had was the only one voiced.
Will you be sure when your day is near say you don't believe?
You had the chance but you turned it down now you can't retrieve."

I have heard this song many times, and I can't see it being a satirical attack on religion - at most it is Ozzy speaking 'in character' as someone truly devout, warning us of a life of sin. What's more, the theme of making good moral choices - and living with poor ones - is further developed in "Lord of this World", which is a song from the perspective of Lucifer:

"Your world was made for you by someone above
But you choose evil ways instead of love.
You made me master of the world where you exist
The soul I took from you was not even missed."

The best part about both is that it doesn't matter if you are a devout Christian, or a sworn atheist - the songs are incredible. I just wish critics would stop trying to twist Ozzy's lyrics to suit their own worldview, simply because finding themselves at odds with their idols is off-putting. Just accept the art on its own terms and enjoy it.

OK - here endeth my Modernist lesson for the week. While I'm sermonizing, remember to hate Nickelback - listening to Nickelback is a cardinal sin under any ethical code.

On a lighter note, this album is best known for "Sweet Leaf" which is Ozzy's lovesong to marijuana. These lyrics can also be taken at face value - and certainly seem like they were written by someone under the influence of his subject matter. My favourite lines are "you introduced me to my mind" (something Ozzy has a hard time with in recent years) and "I love you sweet leaf - though you can't hear." This last line is second only to Neil Diamond's "And no one heard at all - not even the chair" as greatest lines commenting on the inability for inanimate objects to hear.

The two instrumentals on this album "Embryo" and "Orchid" are both good - typical of Iommi, as he demonstrates his ability to play a light, folksy guitar. I didn't love them, though, and they don't compare to classics like "Fluff" from "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath".

Overall, this album is a work of art, and its only real sin is that it has to stand alongside the many other great Sabbath albums that are giants not only in their own right, but beacons in the history of rock itself. For this reason, I went with 4 stars, but if I allowed half stars it would have made 4.5.

Best tracks: Sweet Leaf, After Forever, Lord of this World, Into the Void

No comments: