Monday, November 15, 2010

CD Odyssey Disc 208: Ella Fitzgerald

From a compilation of eighties metal to a compilation of easy listening jazz. That is how the CD Odyssey rolls. You think Odysseus thought he’d be at sea for twenty years? No – he didn’t have a clue. I'll learn that lesson now, and just take this thing one adventure at a time.

Disc 208 is...The Jazz Sides
Artist: Ella Fitgerald

Year of Release: 1995 but with music from the fifties and sixties

What’s Up With The Cover?: A picture of Ella, belting out a tune. This picture is jarring to me, because on the album her voice seems so effortless, but this picture implies extreme effort. This cover also suggests there are at least 45 other “Jazz Masters” out there, likely more. This is the only one I’ve got though.

How I Came To Know It: This album comes from my dalliance in the late nineties with all things swing. I can’t remember where I heard of her in particular, but it is hardly surprising, as she is one of the most famous jazz singers of all time. I think this album might’ve been a gift from my wife in a stocking, but not sure about that either. It has been kicking around the CD shelves for a while, in any event.

How It Stacks Up: This album is a ‘best of’ and even if it weren’t, it’s the only Ella Fitzgerald music I’ve got, so it can’t stack up.

Rating: ‘best ofs’ and compilations don’t get stars, jerky! I did enjoy this record though.

When I rolled this album I’ll admit I was less than enthused. My head’s not really in a jazz or swing frame of mind these days, and if not for the Odyssey, I wouldn’t be putting this on very often.

Also, for many years I’ve been down on Ella Fitzgerald, as ‘too perfect.’ In my mind, I’d rather hear the more raw sounding Billie Holliday. This time around I bounced back and forth, at times wanting to hear a little more rawness, and at times just admiring her natural ability.

Yes, she is a little too perfect, but unlike Holliday, she’s not focused on making you hear the hurt in the songs – she just wants to sing you a song as best she can. As it turns out, Ella Fitzgerald’s best is about as good as vocals get. If she sounds a little too perfect, that’s because she is damned near perfect. Just the right mix of raspy and breathy, and delivered in a way that makes you think she sang every song with just the hint of a smile on her lips.

Many of these songs are well-known standards that I’ve heard done by a number of artists, including “They Can’t Take That Away From Me” (Billie Holliday), “Everything I’ve Got” (Holly Cole Trio), “One More For My Baby (and One More for the Road)” (Frank Sinatra) and “Knock Me a Kiss” (Louis Jordan). I’ll admit in each of these cases, I prefer the non-Ella Fitzgerald version, but that doesn’t make hers bad. In fact, if anything they’re just a little too…perfect. There’s that word again.

Fortunately, there are other moments where I can’t imagine anyone doing it better than Ella Fitzgerald. On this record, “Let’s Do It (Let’s Fall In Love),” “Hear Me Talkin’ To Ya” and “It’s Only a Paper Moon” come to mind.

In the end, this is a surprisingly mixed review for an artist who has so clearly mastered her craft. If you like music where every note is laid out neatly just so, this is definitely for you. If you like a little more interpretative flair, then I’ve laid a few ideas out earlier you might want to check out. Whatever floats your boat.

Best tracks: Let’s Do It (Let’s Fall In Love), Hear Me Talkin’ To Ya, It’s Only a Paper Moon

1 comment:

Kim said...

Love Ella. I grew up hearing her sing, as she was my dad's favorite. In time, I came to appreciate her effortless voice, running the spectrum of notes, flawlessly. I especially like her with Louis Armstrong. Her smooth, velvety voice with his rough, raspy voice was so captivating and interesting, against the odds. Two great musicians and their magical authentic talent allows it to work. Also adore Ella's Christmas carols- like, "Hark the Herald Angels Sing."