Monday, September 20, 2010

Figurine: Sphinx

I had intended to finish painting this figure weeks ago, but two things slowed down progress.

Firstly, I got hung up on the wings, which were very time consuming. Secondly, football season started again, so I've traded painting on Sunday for sitting zombie-like in front of the TV. OK, that's not true - I'm often very animated in front of the TV when watching football (Dolphins are 2-0, Yeehaw!!!).

This week I had to work on Saturday, so I decided to take Monday off to recharge my batteries. Since there wasn't any football until the evening, I finally got the figure finished (as well as three loads of laundry).

Anyway, here's my latest - a sphinx. I think I did a pretty good job of this one. Here's a general shot:

I'm very happy with this guy - he took a lot of shading work, and he was quite a large figure - here he is with a regular sized 1" figure so you can appreciate the scale:

Painting large figures is often easier than smaller ones. The challenge is to just be patient and ensure whatever brushing technique you are using gets applied evenly. Here's a side shot to show what I mean on his fur:

And here's a close up of the wing. I put a lot of effort into the wings,which severely tested my patience, but I'm happy with how they came out:


Finally, here's a detailed shot of his huge head (it's like Sputnik - only with more riddles):
My next figure is dead simple compared to this one - a vampire fighter. I hope he doesn't take as long to finish, but let's be honest - football season is just getting started.

1 comment:

Sheila said...

This piece is so cool - I'm glad you took all the time and effort to do the wings like that. It really looks amazing.

I would like to see the teeth not so Hollywood white - it doesn't look real to me.

Incredible piece! It will be one of the main pieces when we do our Egypt display.