Sunday, August 15, 2010

CD Odyssey Disc 166: Frank Sinatra

After a few days on hiatus (I was out of town visiting family), I had some errands to run in town on my own, and was able to squeeze in another record on the resulting drive.

The Odyssey decided to pick up right where it left off. Where we left off was that Queen of Crooners, Billie Holliday - we return with the King of Crooners - Frank Sinatra.

Disc 166 is...Greatest Hits Vol. 2
Artist: Frank Sinatra

Year of Release: 1972

What’s Up With The Cover?: Give yourself a hand, Frank.

How I Came To Know It: I explained way back at Disc 19 how I came to know Frank Sinatra, but since it's been a while I'll recap. I was into swing music in the mid-nineties, and my buddy Andrew is a big Frank Sinatra fan, and helped hook me on him.

How It Stacks Up: This is a best of album, so it doesn't really stack up. Best ofs have an unfair advantage I've detailed many times during the Odyssey. I will say I have Volume 1 of this series as well, and I probably slightly prefer Volume 1, but they're both great.

Rating: Best of albums don't get a rating. That is ridiculous! I'd much rather have original Sinatra albums, but this is what is out there these days, so this is what I've got. Besides, I'm not so into Frank any more to search out a bunch of albums.

I like that this Greatest Hits package only has eleven tracks. It is just the right length to leave you wanting more.

As I alluded in the teaser, Sinatra is the world's greatest crooner. The man can belt out a tune, and his catalogue of songs is impressive and memorable.

This album features one of the two songs I want played one day (in the distant future) at my funeral; "My Way". The other song is "Barrett's Privateers", and yes I expect you all to sing along. I've been thinking about adding some mournful Townes Van Zandt song in there as well - maybe "High, Low and In Between."

But back to the record - which is a great collection of songs for singing along. Sinatra's voice is perfect to listen to, and I think he actually helps you sound more in tune as well. His voice is so perfect, it is some kind of superpower. I'm sure if he'd met that crazy Cardinal played by Rutger Hauer in "Sin City", the Cardinal would've let Sinatra eat people too if that's what he'd wanted to.

Of course, Frank would have been a lot easier to please than the creepy cannibal kid that Cardinal whats-his-face keeps on the family farm. Frank would've settled for an unlimited supply of martinis at Chili's Bar, and an appreciative crowd. And maybe Ava Gardner's new phone number

Frank's days of chasing after Ava and drinking martinis at Chili's are sadly over, but he's still got an appreciative crowd - and I'm part of it.

Best tracks: My Way, Cycles, Love's Been Good To Me, Goin' Out Of My Head.

No comments: