Sunday, January 3, 2010

Figurine: Cleric of Tuonetar

As promised, I finally finished another figure. One of my favourite things about having some time off from work is being able to sit and paint miniatures. I reviewed a couple albums while painting this guy, so he saw double duty.
This rather angry looking fellow is an evil cleric. Here he is from the front (sexy photo from behind to follow).

Whenever I paint a cleric, the first thing I like to settle in my mind is what god he worships. That helps me decide colours and overall appearance. This time I went with Tuonetar, the Finnish Goddess of the Underworld. I picked her because the book I was using said her symbol was a severed head and her animal, the spider. This book is hardly official Finnish mythology (for that, read the Kalevala) - it just serves to give me something to work with. This guy has a morningstar with a spider carved into the business end, and his "unholy censer" is made out of a severed head. Seemed a good fit.

I continued with my new method of varying up weapons by using different colours for their base coat (this time I used gloss red and then did heavy steel brushwork, to better show off the spider.

Also it makes his mace eeeevil. He is a bad dude. I mean - who makes a censer out of a person's head?

I like this figure's face. He has a great "angry yelling" expression going on. This just shows that in addition to being evil, he is rude.

Here he is from the back side.

I like the many subtle details of this figure's armour - particularly the face in the platemail protecting his hip.

Hopefully with football season over soon, I'll get more painting done. Next one up is an elf ranger, which will provide some nice balance to this guy.

No comments: