Wednesday, September 9, 2009

CD Odyssey Disc 29: Paul Simon

After a hiatus caused by an inordinate amount of work at the place they pay me, the CD Odyssey returns! Randomness also returns, and so here is the latest offering.

Disc 29 is...Negotiations and Love Songs 1971-1986

Artist: Paul Simon

Year of Release: 1988 with music from 1971-1986

How I Came To Know It: I've been a fan of Simon and Garfunkel since about 1989. While I liked Paul Simon's solo stuff, it was Sheila that put me on to it. This album is in fact one of hers. Good work, She!

How It Stacks Up: Not Applicable. This is not a Paul Simon album per se - it is a best of/greatest hits. As with Thelonius Monk it isn't fair to stack it up against true studio albums by Paul Simon (of which I have 2).

Rating: Not applicable. Best ofs aren't really rateable that way.

This album is a good example of where best ofs are best utilized. I really like Paul Simon, but I'm not sure I would go out and buy 6 or 7 of his albums - this fills that gap.

Then again, listening to these songs, I am reminded of just what a great songwriter Simon is.

When I listen to Paul Simon's lyrics, I always feel like I'm getting a deep personal insight into his life. The insight comes from such an honest place, that I find myself identifying with it - or remembering a time when I did. It is good stuff.

This album also notes how underrated a singer Paul Simon is. In Simon and Garfunkel he is often overshadowed by Garfunkel's voice, which really isn't fair. Paul Simon can sing.

By contrast, what can Garfunkel do other than sing? In fact, Garfunkel fronts the mythical band that me and my buddies have invented comprised entirely of the untalented portions of former bands.

The band is GORF, which stands for Garfunkel, Oates, Ridgley and Frye. Later we changed the name to DEF GORF, because they needed a drummer.

But I digress...

Negotiations and Love Songs is full of some of the best songs pop music has created, by a man with a beautiful gift to communicate. There are some 5 star tracks on here, most notably "Slip Sliding Away" and "Still Crazy After All These Years" and many more 4 star songs. You can see why best ofs have an unfair advantage.

This record sorely tests me to not run out and buy a bunch of Paul Simon records from the 70s. I won't though...for now.

Best tracks: Still Crazy After All These Years, Slip Slidin' Away, Hearts and Bones, Something So Right, Late in the Evening.

No comments: